The Sustainability Project and Garden Commission focuses on raising advocacy and awareness surrounding sustainability-themed topics. The commission promotes and coordinates events targeting environmental justice, waste management and reduction, recycling, energy efficiency, and self-sufficiency in the UCI student and staff community. Along with the SRC, we actively maintain the Ants in Your Plants Garden in Arroyo Vista. Food-safety certified by UCI’s EHS department, the garden produces fresh fruits and vegetables not only for ourselves and the immediate community, but also for donations to UCI’s FRESH Basic Needs Hub.
– Increase student awareness and student involvement in sustainability initiatives and projects on campus
– Support University of California’s Carbon Neutrality Initiative and UCI’s Zero Waste goals through policy work and immediate action
– Collaborate with registered student organizations (RSOs) to plan and coordinate school-wide events targeting sustainable living
– Provide quantitative data to the administration on our campus-wide impacts, e.g. food waste composted, produce grown, student involvement, clothes donated, etc.
– Incorporate a renewable energy source for irrigation in the Arroyo Vista Ants in Your Plants garden
– Encourage you, the students, to destress at the garden while making a sustainable impact