The SHW Commission works to promote health and wellness for students at the University of California, Irvine. It gathers and shares resources on topics such as nutrition, fitness, stress management, diseases, alcohol/drug use, and sexual health with an open dialogue and safe space for students to discuss these topics. During the 2020-21 academic year, the SHW Commission will host educational webinars and other online events and market health promotive approaches on social media, backed by the most up-to-date research findings as published in highly respected scientific and medical journals, to spread knowledge of the resources available to students (on campus and off campus). A primary focus will be on opportunities which encompass the importance of a healthy diet, getting the recommended amount of daily exercise, and other emotional well-being strategies. With the current situation especially, the SHW Commission will provide the most timely and relevant information possible on issues affecting health and wellness and cater to the unique and diverse needs of students at this time.
– Promote healthy living with credible information on topics such as nutrition, fitness, stress management, diseases, alcohol/drug use, sexual health, social distancing, and mask use
– Host educational webinars and other online events each quarter centered around health and wellness
– Raise awareness about disabilities, both visible and invisible, and learn the best ways to support students wherever they are
– Do our best to ensure accessibility to healthcare resources that are available to all students (on campus and off campus) and share options, like USHIP and community health centers
– Collaborate with various campus organizations and other commissions to reach as many students as possible to better serve our campus