ASUCI Senate Minutes
Thursday, January 19, 2012

Approve Agenda: Neil

Second: Carissa

 

Attendance - Absent:

Janelle Pham – interview for dental

Michelle Vasquez – stuck in traffic from UC Regents Meeting, arrived 6:10pm

Jun Wang

Daisy Herrera

Noelle Evangelista

Melissa Gamble – stuck in traffic from UC Regents meeting, arrived 6:10pm

Patrick – left at 5:50pm

Charlyn – left at 5:50pm

Genevieve – left at 5:50pm

 

R47-32 : Appointment of Public Info Chair

Legislation passes

 

Friendly Amendment, move item C first under New Business

 

New Business

C. Email Discussion

Aaron Echols gives directions to new Legislative Council members on how to access their ASUCI e-mails to better serve and reach out to each representative’s constituents

 

D. ASUCI Virtualization Discussion

Aaron is suggesting ASUCI moves our computers to Virtualization to save us money, so that we won’t have to spend money to upgrade all the computers. We will have one big server to serve everyone; it will have enough processing power to serve everyone if they all needed to use the computer for ASUCI purposes.

 

Ben – hard drives?

Albert – How much would it cost?

Evelyn – when will this be implemented? Whenever the part arrives, it can be implemented within 5 minutes

 

Strategic Planning 5-6pm

Sandy  - talks to Legislative Council about change, and how to keep us moving forward. Our vision is what we hope to be, what we strive to be. SWOT – Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats

 

Mark  - We have had this group and we’ve met every Tuesday since Fall Quarter, and came up with 11 Strategic Issues for Student Government

 

Sandy wants Legislative to go out to constituents and talk to them about Strategic Issues for Student Government and come up with 2 action items for next meeting

 

Nicole is joining the “Strategic Issues for Student Government,” which means she will be attending their meetings on Tuesday at 2pm, and will be a liaison between Legislative Council and Strategic Issues for Student Government.

 

Mark – This is a chance to make this group better, for Legislative Council to be more effective/better. There will be a lot of staff support for this to make AS as a whole better.

 

Patrick proposing friendly amendment

 

Vikram – ballot language. Weekly referendum meetings. To increase ASUCI quarterly fee to fund more

 

Patrick – UC Regents meeting was today. The chair of the Regents is interested in talking with students. Regents Lancing and Tolerance to discuss certain issues.  

 

Go to San Francisco to meet with all UC’s EVP

 

In 2 weeks, Patrick will meet with financial aid directors to make financial aid more accessible in terms of technology. No paper, make it all online. Wants to make a form to appeal Financial Aid. The form is not really accessible, so we want to make it more accessible.

 

Preparing for the upcoming Student Lobby Conference. Applications are coming out soon. Legislative Council members

 

Transportation, food, housing is all covered, and a chance to meet Gov. Brown

 

Charlyn – Tuesday’s event was successful

 

Working on next speaker

 

Academic Engagement is collaborating with the arc to actually cook with Professors

 

AMP is running a series of workshops

 

Visions class, Wednesday, mostly Freshmen

 

Genevieve – Figuring budget for CSA, staffing got cut, but not funding. Staff got moved to Cross Cultural Center. Will be moved under ASUCI

 

Legal clinic, wants to hire a part time lawyer to help give advice to students. Since it is volunteer work, sometimes lawyers bail last minute

 

ARC board, there are 5 vacancies. Board is there to help improve the ARC.

 

Jun – Drive movie is playing tomorrow

 

Lip Dub is postponed

 

-- 

Next Thursday, rules suspended to hold meeting

--

 

Meetings are Friday, February 17th for ETech, 1:30pm

Reza will write legislation for it, to replace Jon Shubin for ETech Committee

--

 

Furzan