ASUCI Senate Minutes
Thursday, April 18, 2013

I.               Bureaucratic Procedure

a.     Called to order at 5:02pm by Andrea Gaspar

b.     Attendance - absent

                                               i.     Thomas Doan

                                             ii.     Emily Larin

c.     Approval of Minutes

                                               i.     First, Summer Ko

                                             ii.     Second, Tarun Patel

d.     Approval of Agenda

                                               i.     Motion to add R48-58 before R48-57:

1.     First, Tarun Patel

2.     Second, Kleshie Baisie

                                             ii.     Countermotion to keep agenda as is:

1.     First, Reza Zomorrodian

2.     No second.

                                            iii.     Motion to approve agenda:

1.     First, Tarun Patel

2.     Second, Vanessa Garcia

e.     Guest List

II.             Public Comment

a.     Ranjot Brar—Greek ex-officio member helps Greek community to get more involved; will benefit both Greek and ASUCI; Greek community’s philanthropic event to raise money

b.     Jeff Wilfong—Vice President of Finance for Inter-Fraternity Council; supports legislation; helps advocate toward more students; would not give money to exclusive parties; way to promote transparency in ASUCI

c.     Nick England—widening the scope; by Greek community holding a spot will strengthen the bond and have an engine running with ASUCI

d.     William Thompsen—member of IFC council; Pike currently planning a philanthropy this quarter—involving medical students at UCI, funding from SPFB will allow more opporutnities to open up

e.     Vince Xu—ex-social chair of Sigma Chi fraternity; without representation from the Greek community, many voices cannot be heard

f.      Lisa Le—former ASUCI Social Science representative; the student programming funding board was created to help organizations receive funding when they don’t have the monetary funds to do so themselves; the Greek system is fortunate with having strong membership and funding; why is there the need for Greek representation on a funding board?

III.           Old Business

a.     R48-54: Formation of Finance Committee

                                               i.     Motion to pull to the floor:

1.     First, Tarun Patel

2.     Second, Reza Zomorrodian

                                             ii.     Motion to call to question:    

1.     First, Tarun Patel

2.     Second, Reza Zomorrodian

                                            iii.     Motion to vote by acclamation:

1.     First, Tarun Patel

2.     Second, Kleshie Baisie

                                            iv.     Votes: legislation passes.

1.     Reza Zomorrodian

2.     Daisy Herrera-Duran

3.     Summer Ko

4.     Grecia Cruz

5.     Kleshie Baisie

6.     Vanessa Garcia

7.     Tarun Patel

8.     Ruhani Sandhu

9.     Shadi Jafari

10.  Ashleigh Richardson

11.  Keith Domon

12.  Kelly Kimball

IV.           New Business

a.     Legislations:

                                               i.     Motion to amend agenda to place R48-57 before R48-58

1.     First, Reza Zomorrodain

2.     No second.

                                             ii.     R48-58: Divestment from Fossil Fuels

1.     Motion to pull to the floor:

a.     First, Ashleigh Richardson

b.     Second, Tarun Patel

2.     Motion to open discussion for 20 minutes with 1 minute speaking time:

a.     First, Ashleigh Richardson

b.     Second, Vanessa Garcia

3.     Discussion:

a.     Ashleigh Richardson—Other universities who have been able to pass this; within the first five nationwide; great movement toward a bigger world-wide goal

b.     Kelly Kimball—what constitutes a fossil fuel company?

                                                                                                     i.     Tarun Patel—purposefully kept vague; extensive list

c.     Kleshie Baisie—Tarun Patel has gone through with the responsibility of going through with it and informing administration and the public

d.     Summer Ko—what are the companies we are investing in right now? Legitimize what we are asking for; Citation of sources; what are the next steps?

e.     Vanessa Garcia—how has administration reacted to this?

                                                                                                     i.     Tarun Patel—Wendell was hesitant, not the best way to go for it, thinks the mindset will be that the sustainable movement is over for the campus if this is passed

f.      Daisy Herrera-Duran—how are you goiong to hold them accountable?

                                                                                                     i.     Tarun Patel—as finance chair will follow through with it

g.     Traci Ishigo—bring Wendell Brazai into the legislation, to create a tangible goal; bring in fossil fuels that we are working with currently; add an amendment—let it be resolved, representatives will create a letter on UCI’s stance

                                                                                                     i.     Tarun Patel accepts.

                                                                                                   ii.     Traci Ishigo—wendell brazai, amendment

                                                                                                  iii.     Tarun Patel accepts.

h.     Grecia Cruz—are there any examples of other universities?

                                                                                                     i.     Ashleigh Richardson—not available right now

                                                                                                   ii.     Andrea Gaspar—Cal referendum currently

i.      Don Dooros—shuttles use fossil fuels, producer and use

j.      Kleshie Baisie—ASUCI is attempting to fix this by cutting down the commuter populations

k.     Ashleigh Richardson—cutting back the interaction, not infrastructure changes

l.      Dan Dooros—how do we distinguish the companies that are currently fossil fuels who are figuring out sustainable ways

                                                                                                     i.     Tarun Patel—we know where the real interest lies

                                                                                                   ii.     Ashleigh Richardson—why specific companies weren’t listed; not permanent

m.   Reza Zomorrodian—citations are needed; Dan Dooros’ points are valid too

n.     Andrea Gaspar—authors meeting with Anteater Express; seeing a long term plan for the legislation

o.     Ashleigh Richardson—concern on shuttles and electricity; where physical money is waiting to be spent on fossil fuels; not daily bills

p.    Andrea Gaspar—UCSA; clear on ‘advocating’

4.     Motion to table to committees until amendments are made:

a.     First, Reza Zomorrodian

b.     Second, Ashleigh Richardson

                                            iii.     R48-57: Greek Representative—SPFB By-Law Amendment

1.     Motion to pull to the floor:

a.     First, Ashleigh Richardson

b.     Second, Reza Zomorrodian

2.     Motion to open discussion for 20 minutes with 1 minute speaking time:

a.     First, Ashleigh Richardson

b.     Second, Summer Ko

3.     Discussion:

a.     Summer Ko—does not understand why we are including another Greek member when there is over representative; prioritizing the Greek community over others

b.     Reza Zomorrodian—based on unfair assumptions of the Greek community

c.     Ashleigh Richardson—adding a tenth positions seems unnecessary; would be redundant to add a chair

d.     Daisy Herrera-Duran—is there anyone from the IFC, MGC, Panhellenic? Yields time to public.

e.     Kleshie Baisie—an issue with the part that says inclusive—not advertised to the greater public; bidding process

f.      Kelly Kimball—before seeing the legislature go through, would love to see other communities have a seat