ASUCI Senate Minutes
Tuesday, October 28, 2014

 1)      Bureaucratic Procedure

a.       Call to Order: 5:05pm

b.      Attendance

c.       Approval of Minutes: Kerner

                                                              i.      Second: Phan, Rico

d.      Approval of Agenda: Kerner

                                                              i.      Second: Edmunds.

2)      Public Comment

a.       Mark: I have a few announcements to make. I am on a few committees on campus. I have a lot of interaction with students. I am a part of the 50th anniversary committee. Started with President Obama speaking at commencement. There’s a student sub-committee to get student input to inform the larger committee that makes decisions to know what the campus needs to know or hear. If you are interested, there is a meeting on Friday at 2pm with the student committee. ASUCI reps are involved. We are looking for students to join the committee to celebrate the 50th anniversary. I will work with Sidney with this committee.

                                                              i.      New narratives: There is a program set with Student Affairs to give awareness of race, gender communities.

                                                            ii.      Half day conference:

1.      People on race and gender. 1-6pm on November 15th. Administrators and faculty will be in it.

                                                          iii.      Conflicts in the middle east:

1.      Campus should be talking about it.

2.      Dollar tree people lead the discussions.

                                                          iv.      Film screening of movie “Dear White People”

1.      Hoping to bring out producers and cast members.

                                                            v.      Orange is the New Black narrative with be talking about transgender issues.

                                                          vi.      Finding your voice:

1.      Regarding free speech.

2.      Leading a discussion of free speech.

                                                        vii.      Thoughts on vehicle.

1.      We could think of a way to bring legislations to the Chancellor.

3)      Old Business

4)      New Business

a.       R50-14: ASUCI Technology Liaison

                                                              i.      Phan motion to pull to the floor

                                                            ii.      Second: Tsai and Hong.

                                                          iii.      Motion for discussion:

1.      Tsai: We had a discussion last week. We had a straw poll and voted for Alvin.

2.      Passes: 12-0-1

b.      R50-15: By Laws Amendment: Seat Allocation

                                                              i.      Motion to pull to the floor: Edmunds.

                                                            ii.      Seconds: Tsai.

                                                          iii.      Motion for discussion: Edmunds.

a.       Second: Phan, Hong

1.      Hong: What led to the creation of this modification? What was the thought process?

2.      Phan: as you all know, 2 years ago, college of health sciences existed for two years. 2000 students do not have a representation on council right now. Rules committee can only change it last quarter but the rules committee should review this every year to make sure that every seat is properly represented. If not, we would have to a whole year.

3.      Motion to commit to rule for one week: Phan

c.       R50-16: By Laws Amendment: Changes for Clarity

                                                              i.      Motion to pull to the floor: Edmunds.

                                                            ii.      Seconds: Tsai, Hong

                                                          iii.      Motion for discussion: Phan

                                                          iv.      Edmunds: I am taking out areas of bylaws that concerned parliamentary procedures and pulling it all together under one article: Article 5. It is the shortest section of the bylaws. I am trying to make the bylaws human readable. The goal is to make it more readable. This will be voted on next week.

                                                            v.      Fatahi: You’re changing the position of where it is right?

                                                          vi.      Edmunds: Yeah except, I am changing A1. That is not in the bylaws so I would like to add that. Additionally, currently each member is allowed 10 minutes. I want to change to 2 minutes because the actual amendment is 10 minutes long.

                                                        vii.      Hong: Did I break it last meeting?

                                                      viii.      Phan: No, it was just a discussion

                                                          ix.      Commit to rules committee for one week: Phan

d.      R50-17: A Resolution for the Creation of an International Center Committee

                                                              i.      Motion to pull to the floor: Fatahi

                                                            ii.      Seconds: Hong and Edmunds

                                                          iii.      Motion to continue discussion: Guevara.

1.      Fatahi: Can we just clarify for people who weren’t here?

2.      Second: Kerner

3.      Delshadi: We had two members involved in International Center speak to us. They felt that an advocacy committee about this issue would be beneficial to this committee. Most of our programs target all students and this committee targets all issues that are not discussed.

4.      Guevara: we talked to the international committee. We talked about the issues international students are facing. The biggest issue is language. It is not good enough to talk to domestic students. A lot students feel isolated. We talked to the IPG group and they talked about similar issues: culture, language, and transportation. IPG host events to specific international students. It’s nice to have them interact with students with similar problems but they want to have their own thing talking with domestic students. Events welcoming domestic students in international student events would be good. A lot of international students feel isolated on campus. A lot of international students want to socialize with the domestic students. A lot of international students have trouble with alcohol so socials including alcohol will not have been feel welcomed. The international center does handle visa issues. Sean mentions no other center on campus that deals with this but the international center does help with this. Advocacy committee can advocate this issue. 

5.      Delshadi accepts amendment on behalf of Reza.

6.      Mark: extension students were able to buy Shocktober tickets but we can work on that.

5)      Executive Officer Reports:

a.       Kathuria: We had two events last week. AMP started classes last week. One of my goals to improve the representation within ASUCI is to go to classes and introduce ASUCI in those classes so we should work on making representation for all classes.

b.      Delshadi: reorganization anteater in action. Help with clubs build action within ASUCI. Nov. 6 hosted by CORE as well as the Cross Cultural Center.

                                                              i.      EVP: 60 applications for students of color. Can take up to 80.

1.      Nov. 7-9 at UCMerced.

                                                            ii.      All ASUCI conference: sign up on the website.

                                                          iii.      Student government luncheon. ASUCI talks about staff and we’ll report you back with discussions.

6)      Committees: Hong motions to move to committees for 10 minutes.

                                                              i.      Seconds: Sidney, Kerner.

b.      Rules

                                                              i.      SPSB application closed last weekend. We will hold interviews for all who applied.

c.       Public Information

                                                              i.      We are going to post something on Facebook. We only found printing, not embroidery. Price for printing hoodies is $13 per person. We will post on Facebook to vote which one you guys like better. For business cards, we were just thinking of keeping the ones the executives have. We don’t have to order as much.

d.      Finance

                                                              i.      If it didn’t have our names on it. Could it be some vague business card?

                                                            ii.      Work with Stephanie tomorrow to discuss budget.

e.       Advocacy

                                                              i.      We were talking about having seats for the international committee. We were talking about creating a cap for how many council members. One from international center and IPG. Let’s not put a cap on how many international students. One domestic student, and at least two people from legislative council.

                                                            ii.      Start working with Dreamers

f.       Committee Reports

7)      School Breakouts:

a.       Motion to break school breakouts: Guevara

b.      Second: Edmunds

c.       Objection: straw poll.

d.      We will not move into school breakouts.

8)      Announcements

a.       School of Social Ecology will have a town hall. We will have more information later.

b.      Allie from UCSB. Working with her to urge UC’s to divest in gun manufacturing.

                                                              i.      Potential resolution?

c.       Social sciences: Haunted houses. Mid-day.

d.      We got a letter from UC Santa Barbara. Warned to stay out of Isla Vista. Spread the message that it will be closed.

9)      Next meeting:

a.       R50-18 Appointment of ASUCI Representative to the e-Tech Committee

b.      R50-19 Appointment of ASUCI Legislative Council Secretary

c.       R50-20 Office of Student Services Chief of Staff and Commissioner Appointment.

10)  Adjournment Meeting: 6:14pm