- Called to Order by Phan at 5:04
- Councilmember Barnoy arrives late at 5:10, Councilmember Olvera arrives late at 5:48
- Approval of Minutes
- Approval of Agenda
- Phan: I would like to entertain a motion to add legislation writing time for 25 minutes under New Business Carlson/Khosravi
- Khosravi: I would like to add discussion time for the UCI Strategic Time for 15 minutes under New Business Second: Carlson
- Motion: Carlson/ Second: Hong
- Guest List
- Public Comment
- Person (Organization/Department): Comment
- Executive Officer Reports
- President: We had a Step Up program meeting where we created a new website. Yesterday I met with the academic planning group.
- EVP: Million Student March is soon so please join us. SOC is this weekend.
- Academic Affairs: We have been talking about the recent surveys so we will release info on that soon.
- Student Services: We met with members of the athletic offices about the events at Shocktoberfest and we are discussing how to deal with that.
- Special Committee Reports
- International Committee Reports: We are moving forward with our research project, trying to figure our logistics. We have secured a partnership with UROP.
- Parking Committee: We are starting our proposal next week, researching commuters.
- First Generation and Non-Traditional Student Committee: We are releasing applications for at large members later tonight. We have reached out to the faculty member as well.
- Students with Disabilities Committee: No new updates.
- Undocumented Student Committee: This committee is on hold because there are existing committees working on this subject so we are deciding what to do next.
- Transfer Student Committee: No new updates.
- Refurbishment Committee: We are still in communication with pro-staff members so we are still in the early stages.
- MyUCI Committee: We are still debating the fee we need to impose on the student body.
- Constitutional Revision Committee: No new updates.
- Old Business
- New Business
- Legislation Writing Time for 25 minutes 5:27
- Discussion time for the UCI Strategic Plan specifically the switch from a quarter to a semester system for 15 minutes 5:50
- Khosravi: We are expected to bring feedback about this consideration.
- Baranwal: I feel that the Semester system would allow us to have a more in-depth experience in classes.
- Carlson: On the flip side on the quarter system allows us to get exposed to more things during the time at UCI
- Kekejian: We should look at and consider other schools on the semester system to see what the differences are concerning units, classes, and professor retention.
- Khosravi: We have seen a recent trend towards switches to semester systems, away from quarter systems. Additionally, I would like to look at UC Merced where they chose to run on a semester system.
- Barnoy: Motion to suspend the bylaws and add R51-27 Appointment of Education Representative to New Business Second: Carlson
- Vote by acclimation to add R51-27 to the agenda 10-0-0 Yea: Heyward, Carlson, Barnoy, Khandadash, Baranwal, Olvera, Vergara, Fatahi, Reynolds, Tunggal No Vote: Phan
o Barnoy: Motion to suspend the bylaws and add R51-28 Appointment of Engineering Representative to New Business Second: Khosravi
§ Vote by acclimation to add R51-28 to the agenda 10-0-0 Yea: Heyward, Carlson, Barnoy, Khandadash, Baranwal, Olvera, Vergara, Fatahi, Reynolds, Tunggal No Vote: Phan
o R51-27 Appointment of Education Representative
o Barnoy: Motion to amend changing from fall quarter to spring quarter Second: Carlson
§ Amendment Passes
§ Vote on R51-27 Passes 9-0-0 Yea: Heyward, Carlson, Barnoy, Khandadash, Baranwal, Olvera, Vergara, Fatahi, Reynolds No Vote: Phan
o R51-28 Appointment of Engineering Representative
§ Vote on R51-28 Passes 9-0-0 Yea: Heyward, Carlson, Barnoy, Khandadash, Baranwal, Olvera, Vergara, Fatahi, Reynolds No Vote: Phan
- Council Intern Program Report
- We are asking that any councilmembers who can, would help me run the program. We will be introducing legislation to add a council position that would oversee the interns.
- Phan: If there are no objections we will go into Committee Breakouts for 10 minutes.
- Khosravi: Motion to extend breakouts time by 5 minutes Second: Barnoy
- We will add a council deputy speaker, who will help the speaker oversee the internship program. There are Judicial Board applications being looked over.
- Public Info
- We have looked over the list of items we need for the ASUCI office refurbishment which can be found here.
- Carlson Motion Adjourn Meeting at 6:53