ASUCI Senate Minutes
Tuesday, February 07, 2017

 ASUCI Senate Minutes

Tuesday, February 7th, 2017

 

  • Called to Order by Natoolo at 5:10
  • Attendance
  • Approval of Minutes
  • Approval of Agenda
    • Motion: Trinh/ Second: Orozco
  • Public Comment

·       Caroline: Addressing the student that previously came who claimed that the student mental health council center is not helping and has poor wait times. This is due to not having enough space. If the council were to get more space they would be able to use the space efficiently. We do need space and the space would not be used wastefully.

  • Executive Officer Reports
  • Special Committee Reports
  • Old Business
  • New Business
    • Discussion by Associate Vice Chancellor: Dan Dooros

§  Dooros: I have brought Dr. Diaz from the counseling center to continue the discussion on space.

§  Dooros: We will speak about the Middle Earth expansion. This is a significant component regarding new space. Pretty good reviews on mesa towers. We want to do something similar in Middle Earth. But not quite as large. Placed where the current Brandywine facility is. 495 beds. Dining facility for everyone in Middle Earth. Right off the ring road. If we can move the administration offices from the fourth floor in Student Center building, to this new building we will have a bunch of free space in the Student Center building.

§  Dooros: Housing administration will move to new the Middle Earth building. There is a need for this wellness building because there is a need for more mental health services due to increased enrollment. The population keeps growing but the space has been stagnant since 2007. This new building will create more space and free up other space. When you partner with us for this referendum the reuse of space is a strong component. This does need to be funded by student’s, that’s why we are here asking for a referendum. I know many of you disagree with this. Bu it’s out of our control.

§  Dooros: The location for this will be in parking lot 2. Just south of the flagpoles. Central location very close to the hub of the campus. Has an ideal layout for two entrances, one off the ground level and one off the ring mall. It is a prime location topographically. Shown on map.

§  Dooros: We would like to have visitor center similar to the other UCs. We need on campus around 64ksqft to accommodate the growing population on. We will free up close to 40k with this move into the wellness building and the space would be repurposed. We want to work with this student body in figuring the allocation of the space. We want to have student engagement and to get students excited about this. If you have any questions concerning the building the experts are here.

§  Hernandez: Do we have preliminary figures for the cost of the building?

§  Doros: Yes, 75 million. The school will put up 25 million. And students will pay 50 million over a time period with fee added to yearly or quarterly fees.

§  Alzani: Will this affect parking or limit space?

§  Dooros: Lot 2 is not very useful to patients or students. It will be a lot more useful as this building.

§  Lim: How long will it take?

§  Dooros: So we are thinking to should be done around 2020 or 2022, and students will not be assessed until they can actually use the building.

§  Bender: If I recall correctly, you all are still looking for funding that will go for naming the building?

§  Dooros: We are still looking. That’s a reason why veterans may go in. There are significant donors associated with veterans. We do need a very significant donor around 25 million dollars. This would help cut students costs in half. Like Kaiser or something like that. If we could find a donor for the whole thing, then there would be no charge for students.

§  Xiao: Where is the other 25 million coming from?

§  Dooros: Student affairs and other places. We don’t want students to have to pay for the whole 75 million.

§  Dr. Diaz: I am from the Counseling Center. Many of our wellness services we don’t charge a fee for because our funding comes from registration feels. We do have problems because we need to make the services available to all individuals. In 2012 our wait time was 21 days. Now our wait time is 4 days. This is for a routine appointment. As we get more providers we don’t have anywhere to put them. We are listening to what the students are saying. And we are in the process of developing a student advisory board. Students want the services they want access and they need a place that is safe confidential and private. I am an alumni of UCI and the ARC was built during my time. I remember thinking I did not want to pay for something I was not able to use. I take using your funds and your voices very seriously. I was also in ASUCI. Not everyone will always be happy with our services, but we are committed to doing what we can and listening to you all. Students need to be able to access the disability services center. That building does not hold up anymore. Same with the wellness center as well as the counseling center. Because of the nature of the services we cannot just do cubicles, we need private areas for the discussion. We need a private space where not everyone knows they are accessing these services so the students can feel safe.

§  Hernandez: You mentioned a few ties that there has been an outcry by students, do you have nay numbers?

§  Diaz: This time last years we have seen an 11% increase in students seeking help. We have also seen an increase in the number of sessions offered by 23%. We are seeing this increase of students accessing our services. It is amazing, because of our providers. But we need space for even more providers. We recognize we are on a diverse campus and there is stigma with reaching out to mental health services. So we have a lot of out of office services, and they are needing space too. Right now they are in the hallway.

§  Bender: How are wait times compared to other UCs.

§  Diaz: In 2012, the office of the president said we could not have wait times over 10 days, across all of the UC system. That is typically the average. The wait time for a first appointment is usually about 10 business days. We are right about average or a little smaller. But we also have to look at campus size. The average in the system is 5-7 business days.

§  Bender: What do anticipate future wait times would be if we could get the improvements?

§  Diaz: I’d love for it to be about 2-3 days. Students can get a same day appointment if they deem it is urgent enough. We are getting creative, so people can access us sooner rather than later. This is good for the front end, but not the back end, with the back end, hopefully more providers will lessen this problem.

§  Lu: Last Tuesday there was a member of the public that made a comment: reads from minutes from public comment of last meeting.

§  Dooros: I can’t address his hyperbole. I want to implore all of you to think about this campus. your body has a conflict with what we want to do. We are thinking 20 years out. Someone in 1965 said Middle Earth would be a great idea and your gen is reaping the benefits. Someone thought the ARC was a really good idea and now you’re reaping the benefits today. This is not for your generation. This is for your kids and your kid’s kids. I Think he is rather short sighted in where he is at now. If we do not do this, what is the solution? I came here in 1990, and we were very low in the applications. And now only one UC school has more than us which is UCLA. Our average GPA is 4.3.

§  Diaz: I think that hopefully these students can bring up these concerns to us. Because if we do not know about the concerns then we cant address them. And because of confidential neighbors. I would encourage you to think about this more broadly. I want to give the Student Center back to the students. We want to be able to offer services and if it is not a building then I’m hoping that the voices of the students can help us problems solve because ultimately we want to offer this service.

§  Diaz: If you have questions please feel free to reach out to me. I would be happy to provide that information. We recognize there are multiple sides to the story.

§  Natoolo: Thank you. The facts are already there and I believe what Dan was presenting is that we will not be paying until 4 years from now.  

    • Academic Senate Update

§  Commissioner Phan: Introduction. What we do as Academic Senate work towards sitting in on these faculty senate meetings and provide a student voice. I serve to represent student voices in these meetings. We do not have voting power, we are advisory. We are influential. Bender: no voting in the councils?

§  Phan: Council of educational policy is the only one that truly matters for voting. Sometimes in other councils we have an advisory vote, but it just goes up the ladder. I sit and listen to administration and hear what they have to say about polices. My other commissioners as well as the academic interns attend these meetings. I present what we learn at council meetings to the senate. So you can let the students of your schools know if it applies to your students.

§  Phan: Presentation—Council of Educational Policy---trying to introduce a new major to an old department. The CEP approved this but there were concerns about staff. We also reviewed bio sci 199 and discussed who should be allowed to teach this course. There was a review proposal to revise regulation 415 Honors at graduation---UCI trying to renovate itself part of UCI’s strategic plan which is available online. We approved the consent calendar.

§  Castillejos: Who do they get the request from for a major to be accepted?

§  Phan: I would say through the department and the dean of the department.

§  Phan: Faculty Welfare, Diversity and Academic Freedom Council, concern about nuclear reactor for security and natural forces regulation—concerns with UCIPD. Chief of police came to address bridging the gap between UCIPD and the students.

§  Council of Teaching and Learning and Student Experience—speaking about tuition spikes--- talked about increasing costs for wealthier students but those with financial needs would not. Still need to check notes on this. Trying to increase graduate student enrollment as well.

§  Council of Undergraduate Admissions and Relations—Third in the nation in increase for applications by 9.4%. 6:11

§  Subcommittee on Courses and Continuing Part-time and Summer Sessions Education—this is the committee that reviews syllabi

§  Orozco: Motion to extend time by 5 minutes/ Second: Trinh

§  Subcommittee on International Education—regarding anything related to study abroad, they want to keep better track of students abroad and there safety and how they will get back home.

§  Board of Undergraduate Scholarship, Honors, and Financial Aid, BUSHFA—scholarship committees dealing with honors program for each school. And to ix the question of why one school would have more than another.

§  Phan: Any questions? I want to mention the concerns of changing Monday and Wednesday classes from 50 minutes to 80 minutes. I want you to bring a survey to your constituents so they can give their opinions on this and I can bring it to the board. Thank you for your time.

    • Senate Budget and Leadership Connect Experience

§  Natoolo: I would like us to have a bonding experience outside of this room. We are doing important stuff but it is important to create relationships. I have been speaking with the woman from the Culinary Center in the ARC and she gave me some numbers regarding a budget for this experience. A Friday may be best. I have sent the cost to your emails. We may want to get speakers to train us in how to be effective leadership would like your help in choosing speakers. We can discuss this further on Thursday. I would like to also maybe invite J-Board and Executive Board.

§  Natoolo: Alison will help to reach out to all of you to regarding finding a date. We will send out a Facebook poll.

§  Trinh: Motion to end discussion/ Second: Orozco.

  • Senate Intern Program Report
    • No New Updates
  • Committees
    • Rules
      • Orozco: Working on our legislation for our committee. Murad is working on R52-21 and the problems with it. Only half of the things were stricken.
    • Finance
      • Jacoby: Working on a bill to research office supplies and we want to know what else is needed to the list we have compiled.
    • Public Information
      • Lim: Trying to design new apparel for new senators. Please fill out the google form so we can send bios to your constituents.
    • Advocacy
      • Chavez: Working on making legislation to officially build a committee.
  • Immediate Business
  • School Breakouts
    • Hernandez: Motion to go into school breakouts for 10 minutes/ Sec: Lim.
  • Final Business
  • Announcements
    • Natoolo: Please look at the google doc presented by Tianna- pleas be ready by Thursday. We have a mandatory meeting coming up, make sure you show up.
  • Next Meeting: February 9th, 2017.
  • Jacoby: Motion to Adjourn Meeting at 6:57
    • Second: Zheng