ASUCI Senate Minutes
Thursday, April 06, 2017

 ASUCI Senate Minutes

Thursday, April 6th, 2017

 

  • Called to Order by Orozco at 5:22pm
  • Attendance

·       Senator Shahbaz arrives late at 5:51. Senator Aldoghmi arrives late at 6:23.

  • Approval of Minutes
    • Motion: Zheng/ Second: Trinh
  • Approval of Agenda
  • Natoolo: Motion to make 6A for 20 minutes/ Second: Hernandez
  • Noureldine: Motion to postpone 5A indefinitely / Second: Lim
    • Motion: Abuzeid / Second: Noureldine
  • Public Comment
    • Taylor Chanes: I will encourage you all to end the quarter with a bang and get in the resolutions you have been putting off and get in those resolutions. When Joseline Garcia was here she kept asking students “what do you want to leave behind” and I want to ask you all that. Because senate can be so powerful and active rather than just sitting in this room. So if anyone wants to run ideas for events I am open for a collaboration. We have great organizers in my office. I will ask you all to encourage and hold responsible your fellow senators and spam their emails. Hold them accountable. We need to use these seats to the best of their ability. Some of you were appointed some were elected. We need people more dedicated to these potions. Please encourage each other to be communicative with your president. We need to know if you will get quorum or not. So we are not waiting to get the meeting started.
    • Lydia Natoolo: I just want to thank our EVP. I traveled with her to DC with about 42 students. It’s incredible to see the work she has been doing this past year. For them they had to stay because they are our leaders until 3or 4 in the morning. We learned how to organize. If you have any events please go to her. We were in workshops constantly and the knowledge and the students we met preparing for 3 days to lobby our leaders. There is an education tax cut that will mess up 1.5 million students even more. Grants will be cut. Work study will be cut. Young girls and boys who are sexual assault victims with no voices. This is who we are working for. We lobbied Mimi Walters. We connected with other students who are leaders and have done so much. Here at UCI we have not done anything yet. We need to find the needs of our fellow students. Sexual assault victims, homelessness, food insecurity, can’t afford textbooks. I want to commend Taylor and the rest of the board for the work you all did. Thank you.
  • Executive Officer Reports
    • EVP: So thank you Lydia. We were able to take 43 students to DC. We lobbied 8 different officials on the hill that day. It was a great experience to learn and connect directly with people that are leaders in their communities. Great to interact with people doing the ground work. At student lobby conference we lobbied 11 different officials. It was really interesting. Took 44 students. UC Irvine had a silent action against UCSA during the conference; it was not in regards to the fee waiver, it was not just in regards to SOCC. It was due to the lack of response to our list of demands. Things got heated they actually proposed to have their board meeting on campus, April 8th and 9th. I encourage you all to come out. This is the best time. In addition to that 2pm on Saturday is when they will have the discussion about UCI demands. What is UCI goal in doing this/ our main goal is to get our demands committed to committees? If you don’t commit anything anywhere it’s symbolic and doesn’t mean anything. We want to address these things that happen over and over again. Last update: USSA awarded UCI Campus of the Year for the groundwork done by our students in different associations. You are being recognized so keep up the work.
    • IVP: Earth Week 2017 is week 3. My sustainability commission has been helping in planning a couple of the events. Sustainability affair occurring Wednesday. Workshops. I encourage everyone to check it out. If you are trying to learn more about leading a more simple life or your constituents are, pass the information on. My office and other collaborators are trying to send students to the UCSB mental health conference. I will have more information next week as we solidify how many people we can actually take.
  • Special Committee Reports
    • Disability center com:

§  Natoolo: Will be meeting soon. Working on details. Working on all the doors on campus for easy access.

  • Old Business
    • 5B: B52-08: Bill EVP for Reallocation Budget

§  Lu: Taylor spoke to me about voting it down because there is an account that cannot be moved because the money will zero out at the end of the fiscal year and she will present another report at the end of week 3.

  • New Business
    • 6A: Discussion on Parliamentary Procedure

§  Orozco: We have invited Brennan to talk to us a little more about Roberts rules. This will be helpful to new senators and us as well.

§  Brennan- Presentation on Robert’s Rules and Question and Answer 5:40

§  Abuzeid: Motion to extend time by 20 minutes

§  Abuzeid: Motion to extend time by 10 minutes/ Second: Lim

§  No objections; motion is adopted. 6:06

  • Senate Intern Program Report
    • Amir: New interns will be working with me for boothing for new service initiative. We are thinking of questions for new applicants. Maybe week 8 or week 9.
  • Committees
  • Lim: Motion to go into committee breakouts/ Second: Hernandez
  • Lu: Motion to end committee breakouts/ Second: Hernandez
  • Noureldine: Objection.
  • Orozco: Any objections to the objections? None. Still in committee breakouts.
  • Noureldine: Motion to end committee breakouts/ Second: Natoolo
  • Orozco: no objections.
    • Rules
      • Safady: Nothing to report.
    • Finance
      • Lu: B52-08 fails, 0-6-0.
    • Public Information
      • Lim: We are trying to set up an email and google form so that each school department will send an email to their undergrads with the senator candidates of their respected school department as well as at-large and special interest. Working with elections committee with that. We will work with student affairs.
    • Advocacy
      • Noureldine: We are thinking of creating a special committee for any student affected by the executive order placed. Any student that feels at risk of being deported as well as student’s affected by parking issues.
  • Immediate Business
  • School Breakouts
    • Natoolo: Motion to go into school breakouts/ Second: Noureldine
    • Orozco: No objections. Enter school breakouts 6:34
    • Hernandez: Motion to end school breakouts/ Second: Lim
    • No objections; school breakouts end at 6:41
  • Final Business
  • Announcements
    • SPFB Meetings begin next week (4-12-17), Wednesday’s 6-8pm. Emails and signup sheet will be sent.
    • Application for senator for school of the arts is open and closing next Friday. Please reach out to individuals that you think are a good fit; only those that can make meetings
    • Hong: April 6th is the 100th anniversary of us entering WWI, this was a brutal evet and created the world we are all living in today and it really shaped world history. Always important we don’t forget how terrible war is and how terrible human suffering is and we can make sure to the best of our ability it is not repeated again. Thank you.
  • Next Meeting: Tuesday, April 11th, 2017.
  • Trinh: Motion Adjourn Meeting at 6:47
    • Second: Hernandez