ASUCI Senate Minutes
Tuesday, April 11th, 2017
- Called to Order by Orozco at 5:14pm
- Senator Pourmand arrives late at 5:20. Senator Natoolo arrives late at 6:10.
- Senator Xiao and Erikat leave early at 6:21.
- Approval of Minutes
· No objections-approved.
· No objections-approved.
- Public Comment
- Executive Officer Reports 6:18
- President: Events coming up: Art Lab is hosting booth on ring road for Earth Week. Will be giving away things. Liaisons council event hosted by undocumented students council, April 12th. April 21st film screening. Mental health commission story event. All ASUCI meeting next wed. 8-9pm. I Encourage you all to come out and talk.
- Internal VP: Earth Week next week. Sustainability Project Commission hosting events. Relay to your constituents. Earth week is very cool event every year, grown exponentially this year. Organ donation event. In addition, my office and president’s office are collaborating to take students to UCSB mental health conference. Sign-ups on web and interviews next week. Anteaters vs LSAT is tomorrow. Rsvp.
- Academic Affairs VP: LSAT event tomorrow. Free In n Out. We will be boothing week four to provide free testing material. Diversity week, week 5. Started i-clicker/ calculator rental event next quarter.
- Special Committee Reports
- Disability Services Committee: Have not met with reps yet. It would be between Jude and Lydia. Still waiting to hear back from Disability Services Center.
- Old Business
- 5A: Creation of an Investigatory Ad-Hoc Committee
§ Yakub: Motion to create ad hoc committee to investigate rising concerns within ASUCI with the external SAG as chair and the external SAG appoints members of the committee / Second: Safady.
§ Motion Passes—17-0-2; Yes: Lu, Mousa, Baggia, Erikat, Aldoghmi, Lim, Sidhu, Xiao, Pourmand, Alazani, Trinh, Safady, Hassane, Yakub, Hernandez, Scruggs, Hasan; No: none; Abs: Hong, Zheng.
- New Business
- 6A: R52-56 - Appointment of President of the Senate
§ Yakub: Motion to adopt R52-56/ Second: Hernandez/ No objections. Adopted.
§ Legislation read by Yakub.
§ Lim: Motion to vote on R52-56/ Second: Pourmand. No objections. Voting occurs.
§ Passes 19-0-0; Yes: Lu, Mousa, Baggia, Erikat, Aldoghmi, Lim, Sidhu, Xiao, Pourmand, Alazani, Trinh, Safady, Hassane, Yakub, Hernandez, Scruggs, Hasan, Hong, Zheng. No: none. Abs: none.
- 6B: R52-57 - Appointments for Humanities and Education Senators
§ Legislation read by Lu.
§ Lim: Motion to adopt R52-57/ Second: Yakub/ No objections. Adopted.
§ Lim: motion to vote/ Second: Yakub. No objections. Voting Occurs.
§ Passes: 18-0-1; Yes: Lu, Mousa, Baggia, Erikat, Aldoghmi, Lim, Sidhu, Xiao, Pourmand, Alazani, Trinh, Safady, Hassane, Yakub, Hernandez, Scruggs, Hasan, Zheng; No: none; Abs: Hong.
- 6C: R52-58 - Judicial Board Associate Justice Appointments
§ Legislation read by Lu
§ Lim: Motion to adopt/ Second: Yakub/ No objections. Adopted
§ Lim: Motion to vote on R52-58/ Second: Yakub. No objections. Voting Occurs
§ 19-0-0; Yes: : Lu, Mousa, Baggia, Erikat, Aldoghmi, Lim, Sidhu, Xiao, Pourmand, Alazani, Trinh, Safady, Hassane, Yakub, Hernandez, Scruggs, Hasan, Hong, Zheng; No: none. Abs: none.
- 6D: Discussion for Senator Appointment Procedure
§ Lim: Motion to continue discussion on Thursday/ Second: Hong. No objections.
- 6E: Legislative and External Policy Committee Recommendations
§ Yakub: Motion to adopt external policy committee recommendations / Second: Hong/ No objections.
- Senate Intern Program Report
- La: Motion to suspend by-laws to replace senate intern reports with exec office reports. No Objections.
- Hong: Motion to go into committee breakouts. No objections.
- Elected new chair and vice chair. Senator Yakub will be chair 4-0-1; Senator Baggia will be Vice-Chair 4-1-0.
- Public Information
- Senate candidate forum google form is due tomorrow. This will be sent out to each school department. If you know anyone else running, remind them as well.
- Trying to work on public resources on campus available to students. Holding workshop or creating pdf on how to get resources depending on what type of student you are.
- Immediate Business
- School Breakouts
- Natoolo: Motion to go into school breakouts/ Second: Hernandez. No objections.
- Final Business
- SPFB Meeting Tomorrow, Wednesday 6-8PM
- Remind constituents to vote on Student Services Initiative. Highly recommend volunteering for the campaign and if not to inform constituents correctly, because we have lowest fee (except Santa Cruz).
- Next Meeting: Thursday, April 13th, 2017
- Yakub: Motion to Adjourn Meeting at 7:00pm