ASUCI Senate Minutes
Tuesday, April 18th, 2017
- Called to Order by Orozco at 5:28
- Approval of Minutes
- Approval of Agenda
- Hong: Motion to move item 8, Committee breakouts and item 9, Committee reports to after item 5, Old Business/ Second: Zheng, No objections- agenda amended.
- Hong: Motion to approve new agenda/ Second: Zheng, No objections, agenda approved.
- Public Comment
- Dan Dooros (Associate Vice Chancellor Student Affairs): Will be leaving UC Irvine in May. Been a wonderful ride. Thank you so much. Intro to Bryce who is an alum from UCI. He will be transitioning in and you will all be in really good hands.
· Bryce: Looking forward to working with you all.
- Executive Officer Reports
- Internal VP: Joint office update from my office and off ice of the president: will be taking 24 students to the UCSB mental health conference. Should be a good time. Anteater vs LSAT happened this past week with speakers from UCI law school. Student health insurance advisory committee submitted final proposal to Vice Chancellor Parham. Anteater’s Bus Love has published their survey for students campus wide to take. Tell your constituents. The board uses this data to take on new projects for following years.
- Academic Affairs VP: Week 4, we will distribute free scantrons and bluebooks outside ASUCI office. Week 5 is diversity week. If anyone has ideas to contribute let me know, it is being finalized.
- Special Committee Reports
· Disability Services Center Committee: no new updates
· Motion to go into Committee breakouts for 20 minutes/ Second: Abuzeid. No objections –breakouts entered 5:36
· Hong: Motion to end Committee breakouts/ Second: Zheng—No objections 5:47
- New Business
- 6A: R52-59: Formation of Rules Committee 5:49
§ Legislation read by Safady.
§ Hong: Motion to adopt R52-59/ Second: Abuzeid- No objections, R52-59 adopted.
§ Hong: Motion to call into question R52-59 / Second: Hassane- No objections
§ Passes 13-0-1, Yes: Lu, Baggia, Erikat, Noureldine, Lim, Sidhu, Abuzeid, Xiao, Safady, Hassane, Hernandez, Scruggs, Zheng’ No: none, ABS: Hong.
- 6B: Legislative and External Policy Report by Brennan Gonnering 5:52
§ Discussion of AB960, being recommended by the committee.
§ Hong: Skeptical of how California may deal with revenue shortfall if this passes.
§ Zheng: Motion to adopt recommendations
§ Objection by Abuzeid
§ Abuzeid: Concerned about next steps taken after this recommendations is adopted/denied.
§ Hernandez: Motion to adopt recommendations/ Second: Zheng- no objection- recommendations are adopted.
- 6C: External Student Advocate General Report
§ Hong: Motion to postpone 6C until such a time that it can be rescheduled/ Second: Zheng—No objections- postponed.
- Senate Intern Program Report
- Intern Projects could be brought back- parking committee was a result of one of these projects.
- They would be able to assist with ideas that you have. Researching or anything like that
- Will be meeting soon.
- Committees Reports 5:47
- We voted on art senator interviews and applications. Selected two applicants for interview, Kimberly Chin and Carl Olson.
- Office supplies on the way.
- Public Information
- Trying to make sure each department was sent an email for elections. Please let me know.
- Immediate Business
- School Breakouts 6:12
- Final Business
- SPFB Meeting 6-8pm tomorrow.
- Next Meeting: Thursday, April 20th, 2017
- Quorum lost at 6:21- meeting is concluded.