ASUCI Senate Minutes
Thursday, April 20th, 2017
- Called to Order by Orozco at 5:09
- Senator Abuzeid arrives late at 5:14. Senator Scruggs arrives late at 5:17. Senator Mousa arrives late at 5:21. Senator Aldoghmi arrives late at 6:28.
- Senator Xiao leaves early at 6:22.
- Approval of Minutes
- Approval of Agenda
- Hong: Motion to postpone item 6C until Thursday of next week. Second: Jacoby- no objections- postponed
- Agenda approved
- Public Comment
- Jose Santa Cruz: “I'm here today to denounce Carl's consideration as senator for the school of arts for his blatant display of racism, xenophobia, transphobia, queerphobia, anti blackness through his past experiences of posting on different pages minimizing and mocking the lived traumatic experiences of people of color, by bringing a white nationalist to speak on campus not once but twice, counter-protesting a BLM event by characterizing the movement for Black lives "wallowing in victimhood and destroying things", mocking mental health by making fun of "safe spaces", and many more instances of violence on brown and black queer/trans/gender non conforming bodies. I believe that Carl is completely incapable of acting as senator and representing anyone other than himself and his interests as a white nationalist. Senate approving someone who has asked for black face paint, who has inflicted violence on people of color, would be symbolic of the lack of representation on behalf of the senate for the most marginalized groups on campus.”
- Executive Officer Reports
- EVP: Brennan Gonnering and his staff in legislative affairs is working on housing stuff with Irvine city council. For better affordable housing and accessibility. May 9th there will be an action at the city council meeting at 5pm, please as representatives of different schools you should be there to represent your constituents.
- Special Committee Reports
- Disability Services Center Committee: No new updates.
- Old Business
- New Business
- 6A: Arts Senator Interviews 5:21
- Candidate Kimberly Chin
· Candidate Carl Olson
· Hong: Motion to go into closed session for 15 minutes/ Second: Zheng – objection by Safady---- 14-1-0 closed session entered. 5:54
· Open session entered at 6:33
· Hong: Motion to call vote on Arts Senator applications/ Second: Mousa – no objections.
· Results: Kimberly Chin:9 votes; Carl Olson: 4 votes; Abstentions: 5
- 6B: R52-60: Declaration of Spring Quarter Week 4 As Donate Life Week at UC Irvine 5:16
§ Legislation read by Rafael Carrazco
§ Hong: Motion to adopt legislation/ Second: Natoolo
§ Bender: I have two questions. Is it just week 4 of this quarter or next year as well? (gets renewed every year) and in the future could you please add citations. Thank you for putting it together.
§ Hong: Motion to call to question / Second: Hassane
§ R52-60 passes 16-0-2. Yes: Natoolo, Lu, Jacoby, Lim, Sidhu, Abuzeid, Hong, Pourmand Alazani, Bender, Safady, Hassane, Hernandez, Scruggs, Hasan, Zheng; No: none; Abs: Orozco, Xiao.
- 6C: B52-09: Allocation of Funds in Support of ASUCI Mental Health Conference
- 6D: Discussion on Elections Political Parties at UC Irvine 6:46
§ Discussion by Hong
§ Regards to political parties banned on UCI campus and possibly bringing them to UCI.
- Senate Intern Program Report
- Public Information
- Immediate Business
- School Breakouts
- Final Business
- Next Meeting: Tuesday, April 25th, 2017
- Hong: Motion to Adjourn Meeting at 6:58