ASUCI Senate Minutes
Tuesday, April 25, 2017

 ASUCI Senate Minutes

Tuesday, April 25th, 2017

 

  • Called to Order by Orozco at 5:12
  • Attendance
    • Senator Abuzeid arrives late at 5:22. Senator Jacoby arrives late at 5:23. Senator Natoolo arrives late at 6:05.
    • Senator Xiao leaves early at 6:22.
  • Approval of Minutes
    • Approved
  • Approval of Agenda
    • Approved
  • Public Comment
    • Dan Dooros: We are a Pepsi campus but our contract expires in August of this year. We have some products from a tasting of one of the bidders. You can all get a taste of samples for products we could bring to campus. Let us know through Tracy La.
    • Derek Hale: Undergrad student. Present call to action for UCI senate. I believe there is a discrepancy between what UCI has published on their websites and California state law. Regarding prop 64. I brought this up because I have found things that contradict this law. This is 6 months of time that this law has been effective and UCI has had time to update the website. My request of the senate is to call for UCI to remove the contradictions on the website and physical contradictions by the UCIPD with the prop 64. I have written a call to action which I would want distributed.
  • Executive Officer Reports 5:19
    • President: First thing to talk about was the Pepsi contract. We had the second presentation from Coke. Only two beverages companies put in a bid. Will let you know everything that happens. Council of Presidents just appointed a UC regent nominee, graduate student Michelle Chan. During week 9 will be doing sexual assault prevention town hall. Think it is important for senators to come out. You are all mandated reporters. A lot of students don’t know this. UCI took a delegation to the UCSB mental health conference. There is a possibility that the chancellor may work with us on getting a bus to the next regents meeting if enough people want to attend. If you all want to attend let me know.
    • Internal VP: Recently signed letter to Dr. Parham on behalf of student’s health insurance advisory committee. My office is having an environmental justice panel for week 6.
    • Student Services: Sorry for my absence. I have class and work. But I apologize. I wanted to give you all some updates. Spring quarter events: Summerlands will be May 19th. Will be a great time. Planning a ‘Screen on the Green’; event will be happening week 9 or 10. Fingers crossed for beauty and the beast.
    • External VP: Elections are over. Coming up in the next couple weeks, we are trying to work with afscme 3299. Working on uplifting SB54. Sanctuary state. Working on getting momentum at the local level.
  • Special Committee Reports
    • Disability Services Center Committee: No updates
  • Old Business
  • New Business
    • 6A: R52-61: Ratification of Spring 2017 Elections 5:26

§  Legislation read by Hong.

§  Hong: motion to adopt R52-61/ Second: Yakub

§  Discussion entered 5:28

§  Hong: Motion to call into question/ Second: Jacoby

§  R52-61Passes 19-0-1 Yes: Mousa, Jacoby, Baggia, Erikat, Aldoghmi, Lim, Sidhu, Abuzeid, Hong, Xiao, Pourmand, Alazani, Trinh, Safady, Hassane, Yakub, Hernandez, Hasan, Zheng; No: None; Abs: Orozco

    • 6B:Senator Application Reforms 5:35

§  Discussion by Hong

§  Address issues of senator applications. Looking for input in writing a legislation regarding it. Want to possibly limit the number of times the application can be opened. Possibility to have special election.

§  Hong: Motion to add ten minutes to time/ Second: Jacoby- no objections 5:46

§  Yakub: Motion to extend time by 2 minutes/ Second: Hong 5:56

§  Lim: Motion to extend time by 2 minutes/ Second: Hong 5:58

§  Yakub: Motion to extend time by 1 min/ Second: Mousa 6:01

§  Hong: Motion to extend time until the end of the speakers list/ Second: Lim

§  End of discussion 6:08

    • 6C: External Student Advocate General Report 6:24

§  Discussion Regarding SAG

§  SAG has not been doing their job or fulfilling requirements. Halting other below them. Unable to contact. Legislation regarding SAG coming up. Other investigations of ASUCI position holders still under way.

§  Discussion ends 6:35

  • Senate Intern Program Report
    • Finished new application. Added more questions to tailor specifically to what we do. All on the drive now.
  • Committees
  • Hong: Motion to go into committee breakouts /Second: Jacoby- No objections- entered at 6:09
  • Ends : 6:22
    • Rules
      • Will be drafting legislation for new arts senator. Discussed changes in by-laws.
    • Finance
      • No new updates
    • Public Information
      • Contacted Tracy and fb page for ASUCI to ask if we could post agendas and minutes on their so more people will know and come for public comment.
    • Advocacy
      • Trying to work on guide for workshops for fellow students. Each senator will be visiting a separate office.
  • Immediate Business
  • School Breakouts
    • Hernandez: motion to go into school breakouts/ Second: Yakub
  • Final Business
  • Announcements
    • SPFB meeting Wednesday 6-8pm
    • Denim Day Wednesday
  • Next Meeting: Thursday, April 27th, 2017
  • Yakub: Motion to Adjourn Meeting at 6:51
    • Second: Mousa