ASUCI Senate Minutes
Thursday, May 04, 2017

 ASUCI Senate Minutes

Thursday, May 4th, 2017

 

  • Called to Order by Orozco at 5:20p
  • Attendance
    • Senator Aldoghmi arrives late at 6:00p. Senator Scruggs arrives late at 5:32p.
  • Approval of Minutes
  • Approval of Agenda
    • Lim: Motion to add discussion for the call to action presented to us to old business 5D, for 10 minutes/ Second: Hong-No objections-added
  • Public Comment
  • Executive Officer Reports
    • President: For everyone that was not here, next Tuesday will be meeting with President Napolitano in Oakland. We also finalized J-board interviews. Will be sending people for you to be interviewed next week. Printed out flyers for meeting with Regent Perez. Want a big turnout. Please help to get the turn out. Unique opportunity for students to engage with regent.
  • Special Committee Reports

·       Disability Services Center Committee: Meeting postponed until next week.

  • Old Business
    • 5A: R52-63 Appointment of the President Pro-Tempore of the Senate for Winter 2017

§  Legislation read by Pourmand.

§  Abuzeid: Motion to adopt R52-63/ Second: Natoolo

§  Lim: Motion to amend the title to say “Spring 2017”/ Second: Hong- no objections- amended

§  Hong: Motion to call into questions/ sec: Hernandez

§  Passes 14-0-2: Yes: Natoolo, Lu, Mousa, Chin, Lim Sidhu, Abuzeid, Pourmand, Alazani, Bender, Safady, Hernandez, Hasan, Zheng; No: none; Abs: Hong, Orozco.

    • 5B: R52-64 By-Laws Amendment: Striking of Voting Records II 5:29

§  Legislation read by Hong

§  Hong: Motion to adopt R52-64/ Second: Hernandez

§  Hong: Reason why this legislation was brought up was because we always speak about transparency, but what does that really mean? And there is no mechanism for the senate president to get rid of the records. When they are about to term out there is nothing to stop them from or doing it. Should just keep for historical records.

§  Safady: Intention of the initiative? Why was it in the by-laws to remove voting records?

§  Hong: unfortunately I don’t know. Made a long time ago. These by laws are very old. Probably made in a time before computers and now because of technology advances, everything is kept online. It’s just not possible to get it expunged. Always be aware that your votes here do matter and it will follow you. Be aware of what you vote and to stand by your principles and your constituents

§  Lim: Motion to call into question/ Second: Hong

§  Passes: 16-01. Yes: Natoolo, Lu, Mousa, Chin, Lim, Sidhu, Abuzeid, Hong, Pourmand, Alazani, Bender, Safady, Hernandez, Scruggs, Hasan, Zheng; No: none; Abs: Orozco.

    • 5C: R52-65 Appointment of Arts Senator

§  Legislation ready by Hong.

§  Legislation adopted

§  Hong: Please remember that you all have to write at least one legislation per quarter. You have to be responsible to your fellow senators and your constituents. This was supposed to be done two weeks ago by someone else. Inexcusable.

§  Bender: First of all I would like to recognize Kimberly Chin’s drive to learn more about this position. Previously the senate could vote yes no or abstain to appoint someone. This time it was not done this way. I believe the senate should reconsider the way in which it voted. Thankyou.

§  Lu: Can you clarify the method in which you would have preferred voting

§  Bender: Previously, I believed we would have voted on each individual candidate. However to my recollection this time it was to vote for one candidate or the other.

§  Natoolo: I also assume that if a senator chooses one senator then they say no to another.

§  Lim: There was no option to say no to both

§  Scruggs: She was elected by her peers to serve next year. So I believe the student body has spoken. The senate chose her and then the student body did. Is it just the process?

§  Bender: It’s the process.

§  Chanes: Who exactly determined the process in which the appointment of the senator should go? Who exactly decided this? From my understanding it should be the rules committee? Not the senate president.

§  Hong: It’s rather vague in the by-laws. I know this because I was just looking over it. Rules committee gets to look over all eligible candidates.

§  Chanes: procedurally and structurally this procedure should be created for transparency.

§  Hong: procedure is decided by president at the meeting where voting happened.

§  Orozco: So because it is outlined in the by-laws how to count the vote, the way we interpreted the by-laws was it was who the rules committee chose to interview. The option to say no to both was the abstain option. Some of us don’t read it the same way. I don’t want to take the way we did it as the only way. It was also for a necessity to fill a vacancy which was open for months. Last quarter we also did the same for education and humanities senators as well.

§  Chanes: Based on all the answers, it seems like the procedure was followed although it was not completely clear. I don’t think there is reason to impede this appointment. But I do hear the problem and agree it should be more specified within the by-laws.

§  Hernandez: Motion to call into question/ Second: Lim

§  Passes: 15-0-2; Yes: Natoolo, Lu, Mousa, Lim, Sidhu, Abuzeid, Hong, Pourmand, Alazani, Bender, Safady, Hernandez, Scruggs, Hasan, Zheng; No: none; Abs: Orozco, Chin.

    • 5D: call to action by Derek Hale discussion 5:48

§  Lim: description of call to action

§  Lim: He wants us to consider making a legislation to amend the UCIPD website to comply with new rules of California law.

§  Orozco: We could demand it, although J-board may disagree. It has no merit. Could demand what UCIPD should do. Could be a recommendation or demand. Whoever wishes to write the legislation, it is up to the author’s discrepancy.

§  Chanes: I spoke with the student who came for public comment, but I would like to sign on with this legislation. If someone wants to work with me. I was here when the last legislation was signed in support of legalizing Marijuana. If anyone wants to take me up on it.

§  Orozco: He spoke about the legal purchasing will be in 2018, but having it on your person went into effect last November.

§  Safady: I would be interested in writing it if no one else is.

§  Lim: Do we know what happens if someone on campus is caught?

§  Chanes: What he is saying is that UCI policy does not reflect the CA policy in regards to Marijuana legislation. They cannot be criminalized through CA, but through UCI it can. In addition if students are caught selling or being thought to sell they can have Federal loans taken away. There are differences in things that can happen to students.

§  Hong: It would be an official statement by ASUCI Senate if ASUCI and it would be up to the UCI PD to consider it.

§  Safady: I uploaded the document on April 25th if people want to check it out.

§  Orozco: It was emailed and forwarded to everyone.

§  Lim: Motion to end discussion/ Second: Hong

  • New Business
    • 6A: B52-10 Reallocation of Funds in Support of the ASUCI Mental Health Conference 5:56

§  Legislation read by Orozco

§  Hong: Motion to adopt B52-10/ Second: Lim- no objections.

§  Lim: Point of interest: UCI Senate can take unallocated out of reserves? How much is it?

§  Orozco: Currently 2,196.

§  Lu: Just for clarification? I’m looking at B52-09, which was withdrawn. I do not understand the disparity in the first bill and this bill? Do they still have adequate funding? The mental health commission?

§  Orozco: I am not sure since it is 2-3 days away. The reason we could not get 10k, was because we don’t have it and we cannot take out of reserves unless it is for 3 specific issues which this did not meet.

§  Lim: Do we know how much they do need or are underfunded?

§  Bender: Can a citation be added for “Whereas, UCI and campus counseling centers across the nation have reduced efforts for outreach focusing on direct mental health services,” Can that be cited?

§  Orozco: That is something relatively well-known with all that ASUCI has done, but if you want me to cite ASUCI docs, I can try.

§  Chanes: I was going to bring up a separate legislation. I would like to motion “therefore let it be resolved, that $1,000 be allocated from the Conference/Travel account (#6418-7125) to the ASUCI Mental Health Conference Commission Account (#6423-7085) to be used for the programming costs of the 2017 Reclaim Mental Health Conference.”/ Second: Natoolo- no objections- clause is added.

§  Lim: Do we know how much the conference cost?

§  Orozco: Last year they spent around 26k of their own account.

§  Hong: Everyone can view the budget.

§  Chanes: It is on the AS website. They were allocated 10k, but that is not enough. It is estimated they need around 10 k. That’s why we wanted to take from reserves. So Grecia can’t answer every question, because we are trying to pull money without getting money from reserves.

§  Hong: The point about unallocated, it’s basically a little amount of money that senate has set aside, for discretionary spending for senators or school projects that their school may be hosting. So if this is a very good thing, just be aware that this money is normally set aside for your constituents to use through you.

§  Hernandez: Motion to commit to finance committee/ Second: Hong- no objections

    • 6B: Office of External VP Budget Report 6:09
    • 6C: Office of Student Services VP Budget Report 6:26
    • 6D: Judicial Board Budget Report 6:45
  • Senate  Intern Program Report
    • Email interns if you want help.
  • Committees 6:48
  • Hong: Motion to go into committee breakouts for 10 minutes/ Second: Lim
  • Hernandez- Move to end breakouts/ Second: Zheng
    • Rules
      • Will be adding Senator Chin to our committee.
    • Finance
      • B52-10 passes 5-0-0
    • Public Information
      • Spoke with business admin because they have a very good newsletter format and speak with other schools that might want to change to a better concise email format.
    • Advocacy
      • Working on a survival guide for UCI for incoming freshman. May join other depts. To make an app.
  • Immediate Business

·       Hong: Motion to call B52-10 into question/ Second: Hernandez

·       Passes-17-0-1: Natoolo, Lu, Mousa, Chin, Aldoghmi, Lim, Sidhu, Abuzeid, Hong, Pourmand, Alazani, Safady, Bender, Hernandez, Scruggs, Hasan, Zheng; No: none; Abs: Orozco

  • School Breakouts
  • Final Business
  • Announcements
    • Natoolo: Please take Tracy’s flyers and spread the word.
    • UROP needs 100 volunteers; right now only have 40. Please reach out to student body for volunteers. Great opportunity for students.
    • Hong: Congrats to Lydia
  • Next Meeting: Tuesday, May 9th, 2017.
  • Zheng: Motion Adjourn Meeting at 7:00p
    • Second: Hong