ASUCI Senate Minutes
Thursday, May 18th, 2017
- Called to Order by Orozco at 5:18
· Safady: Motion to add “Motion to strike ‘In the case that all applicants are rejected from either the Rules Committee or the Senate, the application for the vacancy may be reopened one (1) more time. All previous applicants are free to reapply, as long as they still meet the requirements of the seat.”’ /Second: Hernandez
- Approval of Agenda
- Public Comment
- Executive Officer Reports
- Rafael: Anteaters in Action has beach cleanup competition this Saturday from 11-3pm in Huntingtin Beach.
- Special Committee Reports
- Disability Services Center Committee: Natoolo: visited center in hopes to speak to some students. We spoke to one of the workers there.
- Sidhu: Lack of awareness for center’s existence. Tour guides don’t mention that it is there. The building has problems. The testing rooms are not quiet. There are not auto doors. We are trying to work with maintenance to get that foxed. One of their study rooms will be made into an office. Some students with disabilities don’t feel comfortable studying in the library. They work well with wellness center and counseling center. No awareness on syllabi to show the awareness of the DSC. It should be on the syllabus. That goes with left handed students. Lydia has a position in her upcoming office for a represent for disabilities specifically.
- Lu: Last week I went to the mental health conference, one of the workshops was an interactive conversation between the students and others. A lot of students with anxiety feel uncomfortable with participation in class. We were trying to brainstorm alternatives like online forums. I spoke to academic senate about this. I was wondering if we could work with the DSC to get more accurate numbers to figure out how many people are effected to help solidify our case. Another concern was lack of an online portal to deliver to their professors about disability. I don’t know what is true regarding that.
- Abuzeid: The students speak to DSC and the DSC speaks to the professor.
- Old Business
- New Business
- R52-75: Appointment of 2017-2018 TGIF Sustainability Commissioner
§ Legislation read by Carrazco
§ Lim: How many people applied for the position?
§ Current TGIF commissioner: About 11-12 people applied.
§ Lim: Motion to call into question/ Second: Natoolo
§ Passes 16-0-1; Yes: Natoolo, Lu, Jacoby, Chin, Aldoghmi, Lim, Sidhu, Abuzeid, Hong, Xiao, Alazani, Trinh, Bender, Safady, Hernandez, Hasan; No: none; Abs: Orozco.
- Senate Intern Program Report
- Hernandez: Motion to go into committee breakouts/ Second: Jacoby
- Public Information
- Thinking of amending by-laws so that senators of a school department has to tell their public info chair the best email to send out for a school wide email.
- Working on two resolutions. Also establishing communication with UCI policy department to find out about Disability Services Center.
- Immediate Business
- School Breakouts
- Hernandez: Motion to go into school breakouts for 15 minutes/ Second: Trinh.
- Final Business
- UROP due Saturday.
- Planning for all returning senators and current senators for Sunday June 4th for mandatory senate training. Catering, breakfast, lunch. Snacks.
- President of the senate elections week 8
- Engineers without borders fundraiser tonight at 8:30- cha for tea
- Next Meeting: Thursday, May 23rd, 2017
- Hong Motion Adjourn Meeting at 6:04