ASUCI Senate Minutes
Tuesday, November 07, 2017

 

ASUCI Senate Minutes

Date: 11/07/17

  • Called to Order by Tin Hong at 5:09pm

  • Attendance

    • Person came in late at

      • Galadios 5:24pm

    • Person left early at

      • Chin 6:03pm

  • Approval of Minutes

    • Motion: Baggia / Second: Kaur

  • Approval of Agenda

    • Motion: Boparai / Second: Kaur

  • Public Comment

    • Person (Organization/Department): Comment:  NONE

  • Executive Officer Reports

    • President: NONE

    • Service VP

      • Starting to work on summerlands and homecoming

    • Internal Vice President

      • Every is required to go to this meeting

        • Expecting you all to be there

      • Next week hunger homelessness awareness week

    • Executive VP

      • Agenda posted on the event page

      • Meeting with student affairs tomorrow

    • Hong: Executive officer reports are next week

  • Special Committee Reports

    • International Committee: NONE

    • Parking Committee: NONE

    • First Generation and Non-Traditional Student Committee: NONE

    • Transfer Student Committee: NONE

  • Old Business

    • B53-03

      • Motion to call the question B53-03

        • Motion: Safady

        • Second: Chin

  • New Business

    • Everything you need to know about: Check requests

      • By: Zainab Khan

        • From now on you will have to make a bill that needs to be passed by the senate if you have money requests.

          • First make a bill about how much you want and senate has to pass on it before it can go through

          • NEED SENATE APPROVAL BEFORE

        • Go to www.asuci.uci.edu/forms/checkrequest

          • Just follow all the instructions and fill out all the forms

          • Print it and then turn it into the student government office

      • Questions/Comments

        • Almadhi: How long is process?

          • They are done within 3-5 business days and they will let you know if it has been approved or not

        • Comment:

          • All has to be done online

          • For amazon and Costco we have a plan and membership for them if you need to use it

          • For food you cannot get reimbursed until that event is over and have to have a signup sheet with everyone's name on it

        • Tin Hong: “Need to take check request to me and have it signed by me.”


  • Additional discussion on slates

    • Tin Hong

      • Easier process of appeals

        • When someone has problems with slate they sue everyone on that slate

          • This forces j-board to hold hearing on every single individual person

      • Endorsements and hearings are becoming too much at this point

        • Doing this will allow voters to understand where everyone is standing

        • Allow them to have better cover politically

      • Comments:

        • “Unique names are they forever?”

          • Only for the duration of that election cycle

          • Each name is first come first serve

      • Why does candidate's change from candidates and/or slates

        • Making it so that every candidate and slate has their own responsibility

        • Candidates have responsibility for turning in all their things by the deadlines

      • Comments on SAG being part of slates?

        • Safady: there should be a separation of power

        • Vote on SAG being a part of slates

          • SAG WILL NOT BE IN A SLATE

      • Straw poll

        • If understand the legislation and understand the changes then raise your hand

          • Everyone understands

  • R53-33

    • Motion to remove the final “and” in -- “Website” and “website,” respectively and,” -- and replacing it with a “.” (period).

      • Motion: Hong

      • Second: Safady

    • Motion to commit R53-33 to Rules

      • Motion: Safady

      • Second: Chin

  • R53-34

    • In discussion

      • You can't really know if someone else slandered their candidate

    • Motion to commit R53-34 to Rules

      • Motion: Safady

      • Second: Ton


  • Senate Intern Program Report

    • Rubalcava:

      • Starting first official meeting with interns

        • How they run meetings and what goes on

        • Will be answering questions

        • Will be keeping tabs on what our interns are doing

        • We want to encourage all of you to see what interns and myself have put together. We want a lot of actions taken by the senate.

        • Borrow an intern or two and let them help you

    • Hong: “Go to your office hours”

  • Committee Breakouts (5:55pm) -- 20 minutes

    • Hong: Rules have to do legislations and appointments

  • Committees (6:05pm)

    • Rules

      • No new updates

    • Finance

      • We emailed about the bill

      • Making legislation and will announce it next week

    • Public Information

      • Will send out an email and we'll find out who wants a jacket

      • Talk to staff about how to get funds

      • The website had the best deals and they ran out of the men and they were $40

        • They said they don't know when they will be done

        • Women’s jacket and they are very identical to the men's jackets

      • Tell us what size you want before

      • Interns will pay full price

    • Advocacy

      • Will ask art school if we can use their space

  • Immediate Business

    • NONE

  • School Breakouts (6:15pm)

  • Final Business

    • NONE

  • Announcements

    • Lim

      • Stock market 101 workshop tomorrow at 6pm

        • Meeting will be at Paul Merage Business school

  • Next Meeting: <11/9/17>

  • Motion Adjourn Meeting at <6:33pm>

    • Motion: Khan

    • Second: Felix