ASUCI Senate Minutes
Tuesday, November 21, 2017

 

ASUCI Senate Minutes

Date 11/21/17

  • Called to Order by Tin Hong at 5:06pm

  • Attendance

    • Person came in late at

      • noureldine 5:10 pm

      • Erikat 5:37pm

    • Person left early at

      •  
  • Approval of Minutes

    • Motion: kaur

    • Second: Lim

  • Approval of Agenda

    • Motion: Ton

    • Second: Kaur

  • Public Comment

    • Person (Organization/Department): Comment

      • Legislative director of uci

        • 20 people

        • Have resource available to you

        • I have research and we are seeing how it affects students.

      • Check in on event that happened last thursday

        • Melissa and Brian Felix legislation

        • Just wanted to say that you guys had written a legislation without consulting anyone

  • Executive Officer Reports

    • President: Lydia

      • He is the one in touch the students

        • Messaged him

        • He talked about how students under DACA umbrella do not get enough financial aid

      • Create a community

        • Different boards, mental, physical health and many others

        • Work with alcohol and other drugs use

        • Bringing support to the students

  • Internal vice president

    • Events

      • Tuesday de stress with yoga --yoga events

      • Vendor affairs

      • Creating a uci windbreaker for all members of UCI

      • ASUCI windbreakers for

        • Forms dude on monday

        • How many people are ordering will tell us the cost

  • Special Committee Reports:

    • NONE

  • Old Business

    • NONE

  • New Business

    • ASUCI Academic Senate Updates (5:20pm)

      • Angi Fawn

        • Update on UC academic senate meetings

        • What is ASUCI academic senate

          • Bring information to the public

          • Representatives of asuci and the administration/faculty representing specific departments

        • Council meetings we sit on

          • Educational policy

          • Council on planning and budget

          • faculty welfare, diversity

        • Issues we tackled last year

          • Human biology major requirements

          • Increasing in latin honors for

          • Increasing undergraduate enrollment (freshmen + transfers)

          • eSports scholarship priority registration

          • External review of UCI Summer Session

          • Working to establish a “campus policy and advisory committee” in regards to policing on campus

        • Council of Education Policy Updates

          • Met on Oct 4, 2017

          • audit of president's office

          • summer session review (price, prerequisites)

          • Additional science course for high school A-G requirements

        • Council of Faculty Welfare, Diversity and Academic freedom

          • Met on Oct 10, 2017

          • Negotiated salary trial program

          • Health affairs

          • Status reports

            • emeriti affairs

            • OEOD

            • Benefits and Retirement

        • More information on the ASUCI webpage that goes more in depth**

      • Intern Updates

        • Council in Research Computing and Libraries Updates

          • Met on oct 19

          • Discussed whether or not we should pursue a Cannabis study here on campus

          • Internet safety importance. Head of IT Dana Roode told other faculties to back up research as one faculty had been a victim of a vicious malware

          • Salary for faculty members. Talked about using external funds to increase salary. Want to give faculties better and competitive pay compared to faculty of other schools.

      • Angi Fawn

        • Council on Teaching, Learning and student experience updates

          • Met on Oct 2nd,2017

          • Student academic grievance policy

            • Office of the ombudsman

          • Center of engaged instruction

          • Status Reports

            • student affairs

      • Intern updates

        • Council on Undergraduate Admissions and relations with schools updates

          • Discussed additional; science requirements for high school students applying to the UC schools

          • Discussed how some students (mostly transfers) have not turned in their transcripts

          • Considered rescheduling CUARS meetings

      • Angi Fawn

        • Assessment Committee Updates

          • Met on Oct 12, 2017

          • Core Competencies

          • GE 7 courses

      • Academic Senate

        • We need to work together with them in order to ensure that we can get the job done. ASUCI speaks to the students and Academic Senate can go to them and get the job/issue working and fixed.

      • Intern

        • Subcommittee on Courses and Continuing Part-Time and Summer Session Education Updates

          • Discussed course changes varying from added courses to changes in course based on specific majors

      • Intern

        • Changed Latin Honors 12%-16% from the 2017-2018 year)

        • Reviews percentages of each school and whether the % of graduating seniors was in compliance with the requirements. (12% of the graduating seniors should receive honors)

        • Going to conduct survey about the transparency/ importance of Latin Honors for undergraduates and report the results to BUSHFA

        • Financial Aid is going to align awarding scholarships with admission goals

      • Would love to work with some of you guys this academic year.

    • Senate Intern Faith updates

      • NONE

    • Senator Appointee Interview: Henry Chan

      • Pharm-Sci

      • Running for pharmacal sciences

      • Improve campus issues

        • not enough work is being done to help the students

      • Student fundraisers and use the experiences i have to help

      • Questions:

        • What are some issues you would like to address within your school if you were appointed this position?

          • Campus Safety

          • Be more active and be able to give students more resources and help them out

        • What previous experiences have you had that would help you in this role?

          • In high school being on board

          • Representing a small body but still doing something

        • What qualities do you have that sets you apart from everyone else?

          • Communication

            • is the key, my previous jobs and communications is what drives me. Making connections with people through communication.

    • Senator Appointee Interview: Yenny Nguyen

      • Social Ecology

        • What things have been going at UCI. The legislation problem of what senator melissa and brian have done.

        • I have interviewed ASUCI housing for intern

          • Have to work in housing

      • Questions

        • What some issues you would like to address within your school if you were appointed this position?

          • The office is a bit small. Trouble with early acquaintance. Our office should expand so they can help students more.

        • What previous experiences have you had that would help you in this role?

          • Haven't had many experiences in physical sciences. But I am good at adapting to new environments.

        • What skills and qualities do you have that sets you apart from everyone else?

          • I don't stand out acaemicially. I am a psych major I like to work and I know how people think and feel and work.

    • 2018 winter Quarter President of the Senate Election

      • Tin: This is the role that I am in. This role is not glorious or special and you will have to do a lot of work. If you believe you are capable of doing it then I would apply for the position. You can’t speak or vote. You have restrain yourself from when you want to speak. You have to be professional. It is very challenging and have a lot of power to initiate change.

      • What goals have you had/done?

        • 1st term: start initiating the archiving

        • 2nd term: transitioning ASUCI to the new constitution. it was not as bad as I thought it would be

        • 3rd term: making sure that all of you guys were properly trained. You all are very active and have been doing things I didn't think were possible so I am proud of that.

      • I talk with J-board, edit and update the website. Talk to stephanie about what is going forward. Get to run the senate intern program. Have to manage the Agenda and

      • Nomination process (6:24pm)

        • Any nominations on the floors

          • Usher

            • NO

          • Kimberly: Homam

            • NO

          • Gurneel

            • Yes

          • Sara

            • NO

          • Kimberly

            • Accept

          • Nasir Asad

            • Accept

          • Bea

            • NO

          • Lim

            • Accept

          • Galadios

            • NO

          • Wan

            • NO

      • Senator Appointee Interview:

        • Questions:

          • 1. One thing you noticed while being a senator and what you will do to fixed the problem?(Internal)

          • 2. What you see as a concern as senate and how would you improve it(External)

          • 3. What activities are you involved in?

          • 4. How would you handle remaining impartial that you invested in?

          • 5. Can you describe groupthink and what would you do to challenge them?

        • Kimberly

          • Because i want to do something more than my position. Would like to go to all the committee meetings.

          • Questions:

            • 1. One thing you noticed as an issue internally as a senator while being in senate and what will do to fixed the problem?(Internal)

              • Get together to solve the problem.

            • 2. What you see as a concern as senate and how would you improve it?(External)

              • Be more personal, not think that we are better than anyone.

            • 3. What activities are you involved in?

              • To collaborative within the community. An hour and a half a week. The way we run our meetings are very similar to senate.

            • 4. How would you handle remaining impartial that you invested in?

              • I would talk to the senate and find out more. during the meetings you.

            • 5. Can you describe groupthink and what would you do to prevent and challenge them?

              • I would challenge it by having more people talk about the issue. Have them address the topic.

        • Gurneel

          • 1. One thing you noticed as an issue internally as a senator while being in senate and what will do to fixed the problem?(Internal)

            • Make sure that the constitutions voice is heard when making legislation. Trying to find balance. Public information and committee and i can see that they are doing something great. Operate more of UCSA and understanding the programs and looking into how we can improve them on our campus. Getting constituents voices.

          • 2. What you see as a concern outside of senate and how would you improve it?(External)

            • Working with public information and working with constituents on a broader level. Email doesn't always work for communicating. Important to remember that we are working to help the public and redress how we work with the constituents.

          • 3. What activities are you involved in?

            • Intern at Fresh Basic Center increase how can we preserve food on campus.

        • Nasir Asad

          • Why do you want this position?

            • I can bring a lot into this.

            • Want to bring organization and transparency

            • Improvement and the way senate meetings are handles and more organization.

            • Awareness

              • Issue with looking at senate and thinking that we don't do a lot or have a lot of power. So increase that.

          • 1. One thing you noticed as an issue internally as a senator while being in senate and what will do to fixed the problem?(Internal)

            • A lot of senators worry about what they want to do. We have ideas and we have to run pass that. We need to work together and bring our work together so we can get our work done correctly.

          • Impartial?

            • Something that i had a lot of experiences with so i could help a lor with.

          • 2. What you see as a concern outside of senate and how would you improve it?(External)

          • 3. What activities are you involved in?

            • Academic affairs and interning for student services.

              • The way our schedule is, next quarter I will only be taking 2 classes 2 days a week so I will have a lot of time in handling the meetings.

        • Tin

          • Really good at doing this job.

            • 1. How would you handle remaining impartial that you invested in?

              • i stop the situation and then stop talking.

            • Do you want this position?

              • I like doing this job. But then I worry that if I do it too much then will be too comfortable and not do it well enough.


    • Celine

      • Change in senate

        • have come in her in public comment that they may or may not agree with. Have people come and feel like they are being listened too(priority)

      • 1. One thing you noticed while being a senator and what you will do to fixed the problem?(Internal)

        • Getting to know all of the senators. Senate meetings we should set goals that we have in common and work together towards them

      • 3. What activities are you involved in?

        • ASUCI housing, senate office.

          • I will always prioritized this part of student government

      • 4. How would you handle remaining impartial in a situation that you invested in?

        • Will ask the opinion of the majority. Can listen to other people and put my opinions aside.

    • Voting Tied (Gurneel and Nasir)

      • Gurneel

        • 10-10

      • Nasir

        • 7-10

      • Tied Tin gets to break the tie

    • Voting

      • Gurneel wins

  • Council Intern Program Report

    • NONE

  • Committees

    • Rules

      • NONE

    • Finance

      • NONE

    • Public Information

      • NONE

    • Advocacy

      • NONE

  • Immediate Business

    • NONE

  • School Breakouts

    • NONE

  • Final Business

  • Announcements

    • NONE

  • Next Meeting: <11/28/17>

  • Motion Adjourn Meeting at <7:05PM>

    • Second

      • Lim