ASUCI Senate Minutes
Tuesday, February 06, 2018

 

ASUCI Senate Minutes

Date 2/06/18


  • Called to Order by Gurneel at 5:04pm

  • Attendance

    • Person came in late at

      • Homam 5:24pm

    • Person left early at

      • Jiang 6:18pm

  • Approval of Minutes

    • Motion: Hong

    • Second: Sidhu

  • Approval of Agenda

    • Motion: Ton

    • Second: Hong

  • Public Comment

    • NONE

  • Executive Officer Reports

    • President: Lydia

      • Mental Health Conference in May

        • Looking for a diverse group of student panelists for Reclaim Mental Health Conference in May, including a South Asian speaker.

      • More Than You Know photo campaign is happening on Facebook right now to bring awareness of mental health experiences of students on campus... Mental Health Commission is still looking for a diverse group student panelists for Reclaim Mental Health Conference this May.

      • Research Mobilization Commission's survey is in the draft form, will be boothing later, and will be planning an undergraduate research seminar for Spring Quarter.

      • Campus Climate Commission's planning a movie night of "Hidden Figures" in Black History Month (happening in Week 6, 7 or 8, also planning an Immigrant Empowerment Event (happening in Week 6 or 7)

      • Housing Security Commission is still testing the survey. They will release the final version soon to obtain specific data on housing insecurity and homelessness of students on our campus.

      • Anteater Express’ W Line is not canceled yet. Lydia met with Vice Chancellor Parham yesterday, and she’ll meet Dr. Parham again in March with Housing Security Commission to follow up on the alternative forms of transportation for students who are currently using the W Line. There’s a proposal to OCTA buses to make a line just for students, but the meeting with OCTA management needs to happen first.

    • EVP: Broussard

      • none

    • Academic VP: Danishgar

      • none

    • Service VP: Haghi

      • Lydia said she has personal family emergencies

      • Zoe had a midterm so unable to make updates

      • Next week is the valentine's fair

      • We do want to release a statement about it and want to see if office wants to release a statement before we do

        • The the business partner that funded the W-line, possibly that the W-line will discontinue next year but don’t know for sure yet.

        • Occa-line possibly will be meeting with them and see if there is a possibility that there will be more buses or not.

  • Special Committee Reports

    • NONE

  • Old Business

    • NONE

  • New Business

    • R53-67

      • Discussion:

        • Hong: We do have a code of ethics you all signed a document saying you will follow it. But you don’t actually have to follow it we found out in the bylaws but we wanted to fix that loophole.

          • Motion to amend the “ASUCI President or Chair of the Rules Committee” to be “of the ASUCI President of the Senate or Chair of the Rules Committee”

            • Motion: Hong

            • Second: Kaur

        • Asad: Anyone can sponsor an impeachment

          • Motion to amend this to rules

            • Motion: Hong

            • Second: Kaur

    • R53-68

      • Discussion:

        • Hong: You guys get to dunk me in a water tank game that we will be having.

      • Motion to call the question by roll call

        • Motion: Hong

        • Second: Kaur

    • Senate and Controversies by: Hong

      • Hong: You are getting anonymous in in beginning of spring, legislation won't be happening till march. because executs didn't address situation well enough, these anonymous came up to legislators like you and me and asked for us to write a legislation for what they want. The way that went about to obviously singled out it. Debate during legislation there had been contentions but there weren't any yelling we were all trying to get to the root cause of this.

      • I do remember saying if this really passes we might live to regret this, the next night it was all on Fox news about the “Flag ban.”

        • Does anyone know how it got to Fox news

          • Some people followed it very closely so when they found out it passed they put it out.

      • At the end of the day someone released all the legislators that voted yes on it and none of them ended till the end of spring.

        • We had a bomb threat so we had to cancel some of our meetings.

      • I am saying this because that same thing happened to us and it is always important that the power you hold is one that is important, because someone might not care what you do right but someone will always care what you do wrong. the policy id to stay silent, dont talk to the media or public comment.

      • Take the time to a conclusion that you all can support and agree together with we are strongly united.

        • Jiang: The flag ban was it to the whole flag on campus?

          • Hong: no it does not apply to all flags it was only to the ASUCI office flags and it was what we will and will not allow.

    • Former business senator

      • Hong:

        • He was a member and part of a group that was an insider group, he made some jokes that were toward islamic state. All the people in that room knew he was joking but someone captured it and posted it to the rest of UCI and they took this publicly. He resigned before anything could happen to him. Another point

        • When we talk about you want to be careful online this isn't a job that you stop doing after 8 hours its for the entire time you serve here. You are held to a much higher standard so that's why you always have to be aware. You should all be represent the best of the university that is the nature of the job and that's what we are going to do.

      • Boparai: If you can talk to Tin about this try during his office hours because it is kind of interesting. Knowing a little bit about successes and failures is kind of interesting and important and thank you Tin for talking about that I know it is not easy talking about that.

  • Council Intern Program Report

    • I see several intern requests that I am currently workign on right now.

      • Boparai: Please do use the intern report when you need help

  • Committees (5:44pm)

    • Rules

      • We put socila ecology seat for full?

    • Finance

      • we have all of who will be our speaker etc.

    • Public Information

      • We are buying new microphones for live stream and still working on the dinner

        • Boparai:

          • We talked with public info going over the different options we have for the camera. We wanted to see what senate thought about the different microphones. I want to get the decision as soon as possible. For the best is the Rode microphone and this is the best we could get. First budget option, buy it test it and if it doesn't work then return. make everything cost effective.

        • Issac:

          • Quality cannot be very compromised too much because everyone sitting in the back the microphone doesn't really pick you guys up.

        • Hong:

          • We shouldn’t mind having to spend more money.

        • Boparai:

          • If we buy the average one by testing it first and testing it out I would buy with my own money and then if it works I will get reimbursed for it. Do we wanna try around a little with different microphones.

        • Hong:

          • Why don't we just use reserve money, buy both of them and see how much better cheaper quality is compared to better quality.

    • Advocacy

      • We made put a signup sheet on facebook page for special committee so if anyone of you guys would like to sign up tha would be good.

        • Boparai: Please sign up before thursday 2pm

  • Immediate Business

    • Sara baggia has resigned, we talked about certain commitments and it couldn’t be balanced but she is no longer working in senate for duration of senate and we wanna thank her for her hard work.

  • School Breakouts (6:18pm)

    • 15 Minutes

  • Final Business

    • I hope everyone has contacted their Deans at this point and if you haven't please do it by the end of this week. If you haven't by the end of this quarter you are faced with a dismissal. Please communicate with them.

  • Announcements

    • Jude

      • Met with erin last week. Going to start doing senator of the week and going to start doing a spreadsheet and just a heads up to sign up for the day you want. And if there is something you want to say that you are happy that you accomplished let me know and we will put that up there.

    • Boparai: It was Issac’s birthday the other day so we are going yo sign happy birthday for him.

  • Next Meeting: <02/08/18>

  • Motion Adjourn Meeting at <7:00pm>

    • Motion: Hong

    • Second: Mann