ASUCI Senate Minutes
Thursday, February 08, 2018

 

ASUCI Senate Minutes

Date 2/08/18


  • Called to Order by Gurneel at 5:22pm

  • Attendance

    • Person came in late at

      • Homam 5:44pm

      • Noureldine 5:44pm

    • Person left early at

      • Jiang 6:40pm

      • Helary 6:33pm

      • Wan 6:40pm

  • Approval of Minutes

    • Motion: Lim

    • Second: Yakub

  • Approval of Agenda

    • Motion: Lim

    • Second: Wan

  • Public Comment

    • Helary Yakub

      • today we have two representatives come to office from feminism foundation

      • they wanna make sure many students get their voice, they are trying to schedule in a public comment in for senate

      • they gave us free magazines and really cool shirts

      • and if any of you are interested in joining please let me know

    • Rachel -100% Renewable Energy

      • Secretary

      • We gave you an update on test drive last time we came

      • We have got 1,000 new students to sign on today and just wanted to update you on that

  • Executive Officer Reports

    • President:

      • Office of the President: ASUCI Mental Health Commission proudly presents our UCI Reclaim Mental Health Conference 2018. May 5- 6 from 8 am- 5/6 pm at UC Irvine Student Center.

      • The conference is FREE and open to public! Its Facebook event page is now available. Please, see it for more info on how to register to attend, or apply to be a student panelist, or how to submit a workshop proposal

      • This conference aims to start conversations about mental health and destigmatize, explore the onset, symptoms, and treatment of mental illness, illuminate the disproportionate risk factors for mental illness among marginalized communities, and examine mental health through a sociopolitical lens.

    • Evp: Broussard

      • We made it in the news “Union Workers Rally at UCI”

      • Last week we spoke at public comment

      • Another statewide action and there is a message that they gave we need your support from action 32

        • he was given a week to respond

      • UCSA board meeting this weekend

      • If there are any specific things you want me to bring up at the meeting please let me know

      • supporting system wide disabilities on campus

      • over enrollment: if you increase enrollment you have to increase the resources

      • asking for a breakdown

      • UCSA there is going to see and get the breakdown on what went on and going to talk about that

        • Application are out and is going to close on March 1st

    • IVP: Brittany

      • Advisory board meeting yesterday

        • Got to meet for the first time so that was exciting

    • Boparai: Thank you execs for the work you do and we thank you for the amount of work you guys have done for us.

  • Special Committee Reports

    • NONE

    • Boparai: We have 4 committees that will be formed and tuesday we will find out

  • Old Business

    • NONE

  • New Business

    • New University Referendum Presentation

      • Kaitlyn and Ashley

        • There have been a lot of confusions

        • Referendum failure was devastating for us.

          • We learned a lot from our failures from last year

          • We recognizes that our focus is on an individual platform

        • This is about money but it is really about community to start over and obviously the history is important and we don't want to ignore that. We want to get the opportunity to build a newspaper that would be more open. While we feel like this is a small community we think its is important and so value to report on issues about our campus. We want referendum to ensure our campus that it will continue to be loved and improved. Wanted to give an update because we know there was a lot of confusion because of last year.

      • Currently referendum was $3 every quarter, $3 taken for the New University we only print once a week. It is paying our editors and prints. It will be $5 dollars now.

      • Is most of the cost is towards print but you are no longer going that direction then what is it for exactly?

        • We will be cutting off increase will be towards quality of our papers and towards our writers and editors.

      • Do you know what happens to articles that have been thrown out?

        • Yeah they are all recycled

      • Boparai: We met with the Dean of undergraduate studies. He talked about a UCI wide app maybe we can meet and talk to michael about that and see how we can maybe work together with him.

        • Are you looking to continue to pay editors or increase your pay.

          • Referendum is more for the quality the of papers.

  • Council Intern Program Report

    • Nothing too much is going on

    • Working on project

    • We are going to improve quality of photographic records

      • Let me know or Annika know and we will help you

      • We were talking about occasionally posting something on the facebook page

  • Committee Breakouts (5:53pm)

  • Committees

    • Rules

      • R53-67

        • Working on mending the code of ethics to modernize it a little more.  Hoping to create 2 new spots in senate.

          • A spot for the first gen students and undocumented students

    • Finance

      • Talking unity referendum and if any of you guys have any questions you want to ask let me know and we will add them.

    • Public Information

      • We are going to start meeting with clubs specifically that do things and start researching clubs and see if they are interested in funding.

      • The senate dinner?

        • Gabra: Nothing is going to work for everyone and the time so i am having trouble with this.

        • Homam: Thinking IHOP?

        • Gabra: Poll is up on FB page and people can add options

    • Advocacy

      • Said she wanted to make a special committee and they need two people so if you want to join reach out to Helary about that.

  • Immediate Business

    • I would like us to meet and have everything ready by before next thursday’s meeting and email me about any progress they have. And email me about your Dean please and if you have any issues please meet with me about that

      • Do you want an email with confirmation from us?

        • I need a date that you are going to meet with them and if you could just give me as much information as possible.

  • School Breakouts (6:19pm)

    • Boparai:

      • Julie brought up, we should do school updates not like every time but we will look to add that somewhere

    • Julie:

      • I wanted to see if we can incorporate ethics she said to talk with dean associate and if that doesn't work out. What corporate does that is not very responsible or ethically. I asked if they could add stickers to put on laptops and water bottles got an order yesterday of about like 1,000 stickers.

    • Gunaman:

      • People unable to enroll in lower division course. Trying to book the 500 people and use it for the lower division and have a 100 increase. We also planning for ICF day.

    • Wan:

      • Next week is engineers week.  Giveaway for ICF and engineering majors.

  • Final Business

    • Boparai: Attendance. Look at the amount of excuses we have and we have a lot of them. I want us to be aware because spring quarter is coming up and want us to make this better for spring. If it is not a core requirement for you major please just dont take it to skip senate.

    • Boparai: I opened applications for At-large senators.

      • Lim: What about the humanities and social ecology senators?

        • Boparai: Hoping to get them to do interviews next week.

    • Boparai: The impeachment came out, J-board went and ruled this impreachement.

    • The student elect student advocate general and then they elect internal and external.

      • Straw-poll how many want this and how many wanna stick to execs officer reports.

        • Annie, brittany and zoe have done an amazing job updating us

        • But I would still love to see Lydia, Rusteen and Leila come to senate as much as they can.

        • Will work on that if they can’t attend a meeting then a proxy has to be sent.

  • Announcements

    • NONE

  • Next Meeting: <02/08/18>

  • Motion Adjourn Meeting at <6:50pm>

    • Motion: Lim

    • Second: Noureldine