The mission of the Office of the Student Advocate General is to empower student success through collaborating with the campus and surrounding community with students’ best interest in mind. We are committed to serving as a visible resource for personal and academic achievement by providing an intentional support structure for students.
The Goals of the Office of the Student Advocate General
1. Rebrand the Office of the Student Advocate General by hiring core staff that support the mission of the Office and ASUCI as a whole.
2. Optimize the ASUCI complaint process by establishing quick links to the ASUCI complaint form on the ASUCI website and quickly following through on complaints within 24-48 hours.
3. Increase transparency of the ASUCI budget by allowing every UCI student to view the budget and see where their ASUCI fees are going.
4. Conduct needs-assessment on a regular basis to better understand the needs of the UCI undergraduate community.
5. Ensure that all demographic groups are fairly represented in ASUCI and that it remains a safe, inclusive space for all students at UCI.
The Responsibilities of the Student Advocate General
- Representing students in discussions with campus administration
- Aiding UCI students in filing complaints against ASUCI
- Educating UCI students about their rights
- Providing assistance to students with disciplinary action taken by the university against them
- Directing students to spaces that are intended to provide support and reporting services
The Role of the Student Advocate General
- To advocate on behalf of the concerns of the UCI undergraduate community as they relate to the various institutional bodies, this includes, but are not limited to ASUCI, faculty, staff, and campus administration
- The Student Advocate General acts as a third-party to ensure checks and balances within student government
- The Office can also initiate charges of violation of the ASUCI Constitution to fellow members of ASUCI
- In regards to Internal Affairs:
- At request, the Student Advocate General may assist in finding an informal resolution through mediation, shuttle diplomacy or by other means
- The Office of the Student Advocate General does not replace or substitute for formal grievance, investigative or appeal processes made available by the university. In addition, the Office does not have any authority to make decisions or enact policy.
- The Office of the Student Advocate General is a neutral body within ASUCI and does not represent the university or individuals in matters brought to its attention. The office advocates for fairness and equity.
- It is important to note that this Office is not legally required to maintain confidentiality.
- In most scenarios the Student Advocate General will practice confidence with any information.
- Prior to disclosure, students should be aware that the law in the State of California mandates that information may be appropriately shared if you are in imminent harm to yourself or to others, when there is an indication of child or elder abuse, or if you are gravely disabled.
- The Office of the Student Advocate General does not serve as an office of notice or record for the university.
- On-campus resource that provides education and services related to relevant health needs of UCI students.
- Contact: 949.824.9355
- Hours: M-F 8am-5pm
- G319 Student Center Irvine, CA 92697
Note: All medical providers are mandated reporters except the CARE workers
- Confidential on-campus resource for identifying options for reporting, medical treatment, peer services, group counseling & emotional support
- Contact: 949.824.7273
- Hours: M-F 8am-5pm
- G320 Student Center Irvine, CA 92697