Hi UCI Anteaters! My name is Daniel Martinez and I am honored to serve as your ASUCI Student Advocate General for the Academic Year 2018-2019. I am a second year Mechanical Engineering student and I identify as a Filipino-American from the beautiful city of Long Beach, California! As the Student Advocate General, I hope to serve you all with purpose and efficiency. I have served as the ASUCI Engineering Senator for Fall Quarter 2018 and as a Vendor Fair Intern in the Office of the Internal Vice President for the academic year 2017-2018. Through these positions, I have reestablished the dialogue between ASUCI and Greek Life, worked with Engineering Student Council to host mental health awareness workshops in the engineering side of campus such as therapy dog events, conducted feedback assessments for engineering students to be voiced to the Dean, and met with the Dean of Engineering to discuss student concerns. I am also involved in Engineering Student Council as a Corporate Affairs Committee Member, working with other members to host professional development workshops for engineering students. I also serve as one of the Programs Suite Coordinators for Kababayan’s 40th annual Pilipinx-American Culture Night, working with my co-suite coordinators and cast members to develop flyers for publication and take pictures for the memories :-). I love EDM and Pop and some of my favorite songs include “This is Me” – Keala Seattle from The Greatest Showman, “Test Drive” by Joji, and “8TEEN” by Khalid. Some of my interests include Filipino food (ma sarap ang balut at lechon!), photography, 7Leaves House Coffee with easy ice, easy sweet, & one shot of espresso, and baseball (Go Angels!). I am extremely passionate about authentic & vulnerable leadership and inclusivity. I hope that together, we, as an Anteater family, can facilitate a safe and inclusive space for all UCI students on our campus.
The mission of the Office of the Student Advocate General is to empower student success through collaborating with the campus and surrounding community with students’ best interest in mind. We are committed to serving as a visible resource for personal and academic achievement by providing an intentional support structure for students.
The Goals of the Office of the Student Advocate General
1. Rebrand the Office of the Student Advocate General by hiring core staff that support the mission of the Office and ASUCI as a whole.
2. Optimize the ASUCI complaint process by establishing quick links to the ASUCI complaint form on the ASUCI website and quickly following through on complaints within 24-48 hours.
3. Increase transparency of the ASUCI budget by allowing every UCI student to view the budget and see where their ASUCI fees are going.
4. Conduct needs-assessment on a regular basis to better understand the needs of the UCI undergraduate community.
5. Ensure that all demographic groups are fairly represented in ASUCI and that it remains a safe, inclusive space for all students at UCI.
The Responsibilities of the Student Advocate General
- Representing students in discussions with campus administration
- Aiding UCI students in filing complaints against ASUCI
- Educating UCI students about their rights
- Providing assistance to students with disciplinary action taken by the university against them
- Directing students to spaces that are intended to provide support and re